CR125 vs. YZ125 vs. RM125 vs. KX125

puddlejumper

Feb 13, 2002
man i just cant figure out which one to get. I know i want a 2 stroke but which is the best? I know everyone has there own opinions, but i dont know much about dirt bikes so your opinion counts just as much as everyone elses.This will be my first bike so i dont want something that i will kill myself on but something that can hang with all of my friends bikes. All of them have one of the 4 i metioned, and all are 125's but for 1 and its a YZ 250. Also how can a dirt bike compare to a 2 stroke yamaha blaster 200? That is also another choice. Thanx:uh: LOL thats funny

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Get a SX and leave your buddies in the dust:)

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I would suggest a Cr125.They are fast but also seem to have a very good begginner motor also very reliable.

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
I bought a 1998 yz 125 because thats what everyone told me to get. My advise dont listen to them. i loved that bike but after i decided to get the 2001 cr 125 and got to take it to the pits yesterday i was amazed!! The bike feels so solid and strong. it does top out a little quicker than the yz but it had a frame that is so confidence inspiring that on the first ride i took the whoops like a pro. this is something that i never tried on the yz i always rolled them or doubled them up but never whooped them!! the bike rips plain and simple. dont listen to the mags or any one else. My advise. Ride Red!!! :aj:

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
PiT Monkey you trader. J/K Seriously eaither way a cr or yz are the way to go. I have a 2000 YZ125 AND THE THING ABSOLUTELY RIPS. i HAVE

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
WOOPS Pushed enter by mistake. As i was saying either way great bike. The 2000 has amazng low end for an mx bike so if you do some weekend trail riding like me then go with the 2000 or 2002 yz. As for the Cr great frame. Good engine. Just go with what color you like better :):aj:

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I say ride blue or orange but I like my 125's to have top end power and actually rev out on top. I'm the opposite of pit monkey I had an '01 cr125 before I got my '02 yz125 I found the CR took more out of me to go just as fast on the YZ. I will say that I agree on the CR taking whoops like no other bike can. Part of it due to that aluminum frame being so rock solid. But the suspension is so stiff it would beat me up but i'm also very light. To me the CR was harder to ride cause its jetting was off and even once it was dailed in it still had no bottom. It didn't bother me much cause I was used to it last bike I had also had no bottom either. It comes on early in the mid and has a nice healthy mid range hit/snap to it will pull nicely into the upper mid then after that it wouldn't make anymore power but it would still rev out on top. For trail ridding its fine you learn to live with it aka hold it wide open the bike never scared me doing that out trail ridding. But I found it to be a huge anyoyance out on the track at times most noticable when exiting corners but mainly when you had to brake hard and get back on the power qwickly. It requires a good clutch hand to get it singing again. I don't find this to be very beginer friendly it can actually fusterate the hell out of the rider or make you tired quicker. I know it use to do it to me, I'm not saying the bike is a pile it was sweet in its own way. I just find it a whole lot easier to go faster on the YZ cause the motor has more usable throttle settings. The YZ motor is also smoother and has an eletric feeling to it. But if all your going to do is just trail ride the bike get whatever one you want they are ALL capable of ripping it up out on the trails just others will be alittle easier to do it on. All of these bikes will plain smoke a blaster 200 quad its not even on the same level as these bikes even if it was highly modified. My older bro used to own one back when it came out in 88 and it was ported etc and it still wasn't as fast as my ported modified 86 CR125 and the blaster hasn't changed one bit since 88.

YZ RIDAH

Oct 14, 2005
dude

dude Ive been able to ride the cr 125 and the kx 125. Trust me man you want to get the yz 125. In my opinion it is the sickest all around bike. I hit a 45 foot double jump at a track in fourth and I over shot it a little bit and land just at the bottom of the landing ramp. I didnt bottom out either. Its also a great trail bike for just hauling ass and youll probably be smoking all of your friends ass's if you get the yz 125. I think it has good low end and amazingly good high end. Heed my advice man.
Later, :ride:

adrenaline420

Feb 17, 2005
YZ125 is the easiest,most fun 125 to ride.The engine is strong, and has lots of good usable power.I owned a 2000 CR125,and the only thing good on that bike was the looks. I driven my friends 2004 YZ125, and that bike just ate my CR.

eriggles

Nov 24, 2008
I a geting cr125r probably next week from my friend and like MXP1MP said the cr's have absolutly no bottom and you have to be ridin on the pipes or your bog down. My friend has a yz125 and i think its a little to smooth. you dont have that massive power band like a cr125 does to get you out of trouble when you need it. i had a blaster when i was 12 and 13 and it couldnt keep up with the 125s but in the long run down the long paved road it would catch up. to get out of corners quik on the cr 125 you just have to lean forward and pop thet clutch or let it out quickly and try not to wheelie.

The cr's are pretty cheap to take care of and you can replace just about every bolt on the bike at your local dealer. The yz's are a little more to maintain and not as a bullet proof engine as honda makes. And all the other brands of 125s are either really expansive to maintain like the european bikes(ktm, husky, and aprilla) or have other issues with how their made. like the suzuki's and kawi's are front heavy and are weird to jump

cr's or yz's are deffinatly the way to go

my piston and cylinder are shot from racing and just eat frings so it has barely any compression in the bottom end. thats why its so boggy. The guy that im buying it from is ordering a new cylender and piston and all that good stuff and put it in for me then sell it to me=]

love the two stroke!

eriggles

Nov 24, 2008
****! i dont know where the U.S. is on the thing so i just put America Somaro or somethin haha so yeah

i live in america lol

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…