kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
I have a 98 cr250 that just had the entire motor rebuilt. I put gas in her and went to kick it over when I noticed that gas was just pouring out the over flow tube. I pulled the carb off and tried to adjust the float and clean the needle but when I put the carb back on it did the same thing. I'm guessing I didn't adjust it right or I need a new float or pin. Any help or info for fixing this problem would be appreciated. Thx

ktal74

Jul 7, 2005
You could try just tapping on the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver to get the float and needle/seat to set and stop flowing.

Sometimes when you put a carb back together the float can get hung up in there and exhibit this behaviour. I have found that tapping on it while it is leaking can sometimes dislodge it and fix the problem.

If that doesn't work...then I would test the float in a container of water. If you hold it under water and it fills up...then you need to replace it. If not...then look to the float needle.

Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be once you get everything back together.

boozer1022

Aug 22, 2006
i had the same problem with my 2000 cr 250, but when i tore it all apart i found the the mounting posts for the float pin had been gradually reemed out a few thousandths, allowing the pin to float freely, therefore the needle could not make a good seal... the only fix for that prob is a whole new carb, and that is what i am going trough now.. hope it helps

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
I tried tapping on it with a screw driver when I first noticed it but that didn't stop it. When I took the carb off and tried to adjust the float I did notice that the pin connecting the float to the carb fell out easily. When I put it back in I had to hold it in place so it stay put. So i'm guessing I need a new carb now. Well if it ain't one thing its another. Thanks for the help guys.

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
When I got home I messed around with it again and ended up fixing it. I just adjusted the float until it compressed the needle. So hopefully she'll start...

kkencr250

Sep 25, 2006
Hold the float and assembly such that it is in the position it would be when attached to the bike, so float down. Look at it from the side so that you can see the float needle, or whatever its called, go up and down with the float. The adjustment flange that the float needle is attached to most likely needs to be bent so that the float needle is pushed up more. When this float needle is not up far enough it does not shut the flow of gas off, and the gas just flows past the float needle and over fills the carb.

Top Bottom