Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
EG just rebuilt the motor on my 2002 CR250. I started putting everything back together and ran into a small problem. When I put the kickstart pedal on the splined shaft it places it back far enough that it contacts the frame when you tuck it in. I pulled it off and rotated it (1 spline) clockwise. Now when you tuck it in it sits too low and hits the pipe. Any ideas? Is there a way to take the right side cover off and somehow rotate the splined shaft? Thanks in advance.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I had a problem similar to this when I took my engine off the bike. Try loosening all of the mounts and see if you can move the engine and and down. On my bike, the engine would pivot a little and putting it in the right position before tightening everything fixed the problem. Not sure if you're having the same problem though. Just a thought.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
The index marks are not lined up on your kickstart gears. You will need to remove your clutch cover to correct this. Once you take the kickstart gear assembly out of the case you will see punch marks on the back side of the assembly. One on the splined shaft and one on the gear. They need to be lined up or you will have problems with your kickstart lever being in the wrong position when installed.

Last edited:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
smarttoys,

Thank you. I'm still at work :| , but I'll be going home soon to have a look. Hopefully it doesn't require much, I planned on riding today. I'll give this a look and post back when I find the problem.

Buzz Bomb,

I've tried loosening the mounts and everything to get it to sit lower and farther forward, but it won't budge. It just barely hits the frame in the 'back' position, but I don't want it to mare the frame.

Thank you,
Andrew

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Why do you think I've been here so long?! I can't get anything done because I'm so preoccupied w/my bike! Hopefully I can get done and get the $#%$ out of here! And then... :aj:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
First off, thanks to all for your help. I finally got to it last night and it turns out that the splined shaft and the gear were mis-aligned by two splines. See picture:

Top Bottom