Sushiholic11

Mar 12, 2007
Has anyone done their own rear shock bearing replacement? I have a 2002 CR250 that need new ones.

I bought the parts, but as I am reading through the service manual, it looks like it may require some special tools to remove the old bearings. I was planning on using a deep socket to drive the old bearings out.

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Sushi

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
it is not that difficult, the lower bearing should be the needle bearing type just like the swingarm and linkage and the top is a sperical bearing that is one piece. To press them in and out, you can use a socket that is the same at the outside diameter of the bearing (it should sit on the outer race of the bearing and still slide through the hole in the shock) and then on the opposite side use a deep socket that the bearing will fit inside of loosely (the bearing should be able to drop into the socket without any resistance and should still be able to rest against the shock or linkage). Once you have your sockets, use a piece of fine threaded rod (available at most auto parts stores, 3/8 or 5/16 fine thread should work, get some nuts and washers too), slide it through the sockets and bearing and put nuts and washers on both sides and slowly tighten the nuts. Be careful that the smaller socket is resting on the outer bearing race and continue to tighten the nuts. It should begin to pull the smaller socket and bearing into the larger socket. Eventually the bearing will slide out and you can do the same thing to install the new one. I know this sounds compicated, but once you get it down, its like DUH!! I picked this up from a Clymer repair manual for one of my old bikes. It also works similiar to how the factory tools work, just cheaper. Good luck.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I just did my lower shock bearing this past fall. I used a propane tourch to heat it up, then used a socket to smack out the bearings. I also had my new bearings in the freezer to make putting them in easier. Didn't take long at all. Just make sure you take your time tapping / pressing the new bearings into place.

Top Bottom