CR250 with Eric Gore mods-Ride Report

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I bought a new 2004 CR250R for a project bike. I have an ’03 CRF450 that is fairly tricked out for my race/play bike. For reference, it has Kibblewhite stainless steel valves, FMF Q Silencer, BRP 20mm offset triple clamps., ProTaper bar, GPR V.2 steering damper, 51 tooth rear sprocket, some modifications to the suspension using Race Tech components, 9 oz. flywheel, Zip Tie fuel mixture adjusting screw, Cycra hand guards, E-line skid plate, Devol Radiator guards, and more, you get the idea. I like this bike a lot, and it has proven competitive in both hare scrambles and enduros, but I was looking for a lighter weight bike with good power characteristics just to make a comparison. I thought seriously about the RMF/KXF as well as the CRF250R. If I had gone that direction, I was going to put a big bore kit on it to pump up the power.

I decided on the CR because, they are a pretty good bargain right now, they are light, have a good build quality, and there are a lot of aftermarket items you can get to customize it. My biggest concern was the power characteristics which have been described as no low end power, and a pretty good high RPM hit. Before I even rode the bike, I sent the barrel and head to Eric Gore for his low to mid power porting work. I also purchased an FMF Gnarly pipe and a Q spark arrestor. I also did mods such as a Scott’s steering damper, Fat Bar, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, E-line skid plate and pipe guard, DID X-ring chain, etc.

I now have two rides on it after breaking it in, and I think it is going to replace my 450. The second ride I had on it was with two friends who ride enduros with me. They are good riders who keep a pretty fast pace. One guy brought his ’05 KTM 300 EXC which has the full on Dick’s suspension mods, and 18mm offset triple clamps. The other guy rode my CRF450. We rode 64 miles changing bikes for evaluation about every 15 miles or so. Our first session, at a riding place called Stonyford in NoCal, started at the staging area called Wolfe Creek. One of the access trails from this area is a wide single track which snakes up and down the hills with some moderate climbs/decents over whooped out terrain. Mostly, third, fourth and fifth gear terrain. We took a left on to trail 28 which takes you to a fairly difficult climb from a narrow canyon that had more than a few A riders stuck in an enduro a few years ago. The climb starts virtually without any run and gets steep quickly, over some rock steps that were pretty muddy from the recent rains, with good size ruts paralleling the steps to make it interesting. Then the climb angles to the left at about the same steepness, but the soil changes to loose shale with rocks thrown in. This goes up for about 3 to 400 yards before leveling a bit, then up again on a quad wide trail blocked in with chapparal with several deep ruts to catch you. Oh yeah, more rock steps about two feet in height to get over that have been dug out by bikes not making it the first time. My 450 has always made this hill, but I have had to work to keep the front end down at times. That bike does not lack for power. I had stopped at the bottom of the hill, riding my new bike of course, to make some adjustments, My buddies, on my CRF and the KTM went on up. I could hear the motors working hard and the revs building and dropping as they hit the rock steps and worked around the ruts and loose ground. I wondered how the 250 would handle it.

I started up the first section hitting the rock steps about 2/3rds the way up. I was in second gear and as I hit the first step I dropped off the pipe. This is where I found out how good Mr. Gore’s porting was. Rather than stall, the bike kept grunting, and with just a little clutch work, I was over the steps and accelerating. When I hit the second section I was back on the pipe and the bike was accelerating like a demon. With its light weight and stable chasis, I was able to move from one side of the hill to the other at will. Drop into a rut? No problem, just unweight a little and move the bike out of the rut to another part of the climb. Definintely fun. Not necessarily better than the 450, but a completely different feeling. On the 450, I would usually pick a line and ride it out using the power, and smooth suspension to overcome obstacles.

There is a section of tight trail that I like that has many tight turns with trees close enough to hammer your bar ends consistently. I use 29 inch bar width for reference. There the 250 was at its best. With the ability to use low end power, or snap it up on the pipe if necessary, I could squirt from turn to turn without much effort at all. On the 450 more anticipation is necessary to get through this section close to the speed the 250 did. I was really impressed with the 250 when comparing it to the KTM. I have had three 300 EXC’s in the past, so I know a little about the bike. Definitely, the 300 has more power throughout to work with, but the 250 is pretty close. The suspension on the 250 is just about as good as my friends high zoot modified suspension, and I think the Honda steers a bit better. These differences are small however.

I took a stint on my 450, and it took me about a mile to get used to it again. It felt heavy, and a little ponderous, but after a while I got the rhythm back and it worked pretty good. In all, I felt the 250 did all the 450 could do and a little faster. I didn’t feel any more fatigue than a ride on the 450. The two things that made the 250 work so well was the porting and the 10 oz. flywheel. In all, I am quite pleased with the outcome. Mr. Gore’s porting modifications are every bit as advertised, and make the 250 into a well qualified woods bike. His service was excellent, getting the parts back to me a day before expected, and at a price that no one could beat. I highly recommend him to anyone.

Last edited:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
:thumb: I'm glad to hear that you like it.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Jim, I'm really seeing that a common theme....big thumper riders coming back to nimble 2 strokes. Guess all that low end grunt isn't all it's cracked up to be. Nice write up!

I've even thought of making a lighter 250 my next bike over a new 300....

btw, I'm working the 49er, so I'll see ya Friday night...let's hope for no rain!

Jason

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for the responses. Jason, what you are suggesting, the migration back to lighter two-stroke bikes, has been an ongoing discussion at North Bay MC. Several riders in our club have purchased two-strokes. That is what motivated me to do the experiment. That, and riding with you on the same minute at the 'Boar a couple years ago and watching you disappear in the tight stuff on your 300. :laugh:

I'm hoping you're working the Cowbell, not the 49'er as it was canceled. In any event, you'll get your bonus points. BTW, after all I said, I'll probably ride the 450 for the Cowbell because, (1) its setup with my computer already, (2) I will ride the 250 the next day at the Lilliputian, and (3) I know how it works at Middle Creek. After that, I am deciding on whether to keep it or sell it.

I hope I see you at the Cowbell.

Jim

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Thanks for the review Bigbird. Your description of the terrain out in Northern California makes me want to move! Isn't it amazing that 30 thousanths of an inch and a thumbfull of epoxy can make such a difference on a motorcycle that the magazines poohpoohed as the worst 250? You should try to ride a stocker once. What kills me is how badly Honda missed the mark on this model. I hear about them spending tens of thousands of dollars with SoCal gurus on out-sourced engineering and I wonder why.

Just wait until BRP finishes their two-stroke 250cc bike with a real engine management system. Then the four-pokes will be in big trouble!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
:cool:

Great write up Jim!

I guess now I will have to send my 250 cylinder to Eric along with my new 500 cylinder. :yeehaw:

3SuperSports

Jan 13, 2004
I'm thinking about buying a lightly used 95 CR250 and was wondering if there's an easy way to get a little more low end grunt. I was going to post a new topic until I saw this.
Is it as simple as a little added flywheel weight or do I have to go all out like described above.
This is more of a low budget play bike for me.
Excuse my stupidity, I've been out of the loop for quite awhile.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
3 SuperSports, porting isn't too expensive at $150. When you get a bike we will help you dial it in for your usage, there are some brilliant people on this site. :)

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Now why did you have to write something like this. You're gonna get me in trouble with the wife again. :yikes: Have been thinking about sending mine to Eric this winter.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Well, I'm going to try it out at the Cowbell Enduro this weekend. I just couldn't stand it, and must use the new bike. I am moving my computer over to it from the 450 tonight. SPD, I'm always in trouble with the wife. :bang:

Eric, you have an open invitation to ride here any time you can make it. It would be my pleasure. I am truly impressed with the bike. As you know, jumping from a 450, it would have to have something to make this kind of impression.

Farmer John, are you going to the Cowbell, or the Lilliputian? If so, I'll be there and you're more than welcome to try the bike.

Last edited:

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I rode the Cowbell this Saturday on the CR250. In spite of a head-on collision with a rider going the wrong way on the course which bent my left footpeg into a pretzel, tweeked my forks, and knocked my computer loose from its mount, I managed to win my class. I guess you can say the bike works pretty good.

The Cowbell was almost one special test after the third check. with most of the terrain before the gas check unused tight trails at impossible speed averages. I think the lighter weight as compared to my CRF450, and the flexible engine mods were what made it happen.

I'm selling the 450. :yikes:

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Selling the 450????

what happened to keeping it for the scrambles? I'd love to have a big 450 for play rides, especially at clear creek....I'll give ya 14 dollars for it?

Anyway, nice talking to you after the cowbell, wish I could have done more to help the club, but I enjoyed helping at sound and road crossing and might try to get Jeff and Bob up there to pull arrows...and ride the course since I didn't get to.

did you have the engine ported/polished, or did you get a big bore as well?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Jason,

I am not the type of rider who can jump from a two stroke to a four stroke and make it go fast. It took me about a year to regain most of my speed when I originally went the four stroke direction. Plus, the two stroke is sooo much fun. I do have a four stroke dual sport that I use for my Colorado, Sheetiron and other rides. That said, I haven't totally comitted to selling it yet. I'll sit on it for a month or so.

I asked Eric Gore to do the low to mid range porting, whatever he did gives the bike ample low to mid power without loosing all the top end. Originally, I was thinking about the big bore kit, but Eric suggested I try the porting first. I am considering the Baja Designs 4th and 5th gear replacement to make the tranny more a wide ratio because it seemed to be wound pretty tight on some of the road sections, and I like to use the lower rpms more for my style of riding.

See you at the WFO.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Lol..yep, you and me both. Jeff's gone through 2 ktm's, 2 honda's and 3 yamahas bikes since he started doing enduro's....I'm on my second and will probably have this ol 300 till it falls apart.

though, at some point I wouldn't mind taking your CR for a quick spin to try the engine, I know the bike would handle better than mine and with some motor work...easier to make more power than make the bike lighter/handle better.

...let's all think good thoughts for the weekend, and NO SNOW like last year :-)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom