drown

Jun 18, 2007
Hi, i've been riding about 1 year now... and progressed pretty well in trail/mx riding, i'm currently riding a CRF230R and found that, well i need more power!@#, anyways... i'm debating which bike i should get, riding for me generally includes twisting trails and puttsin around in the sand pits doing hill climbs etc.. i dont usually race, but would like something that will get up and go and keep up with the boys... I'm 5"11, 150 lbs and able to handle pretty well, which would be the better choice the 250R or the 250X? differences i see are just the headlight/taillights on the 250X... what do you guys think?

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
Well obviously the 2 stroke is going to be fast, faster than the 4 stroke... Depends on how you ride. The 250R (2stroke I think) will be much faster actually...

Jan 3, 2007
aaldape, he is talking about MX and Enduro 250Fs.

drown, the differences are more then that like, softer suspesion, different cylinder porting, flywheel, and much more and also the price. I think the KTM 250XCF would be the best bike for you in this application. It has the same engine as the SXF but with a heaiver flywheel, softer suspesion, 18inch rear wheel, and some other little things. But the difference between the KTM and honda is the KTM is more ready to race and has alot more power and is great on the track. So, mabe look into the KTM but for sure i would say get a Enduro friendly bike instead of a MX one.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
CRF250R = MX bike..
CRF250X = Trail bike..

Both can be used in either situation. But the R is more adaped to MX, and the X is more adaped to Trails. If you ride on trails more go with the X and MX more go with the R.

CRF250X = Headlight, tailight, ELECTRIC START and geared more for the trails. not quite as fast. But it has the low end for tight trails.

CRF250R = Lighter, duel exhaust, more accel, and faster. made for the MX track.

And both are 4-strokes..

drown

Jun 18, 2007
Thanks guys for the thoughts... i think the CR-250-R is actually a 2stroke, and has a electric start as well as kick.. atleast the new 07 model which i'm interested in. I take it that the CR-250-R is a good rival to the CRF-250-X on the trail, but dominate on hills and gaps? I hear the CR-250-R will outrun a 450?

drown

Jun 18, 2007
also, i did look at KTM... they seem great, low maintance, not sure which bike i'd be looking at though, XC-W? XC... means nothing to me ;(

Jan 3, 2007
drown, Here is your KTM break down.

XC= 2 stroke, tight gear ratio, stiffer suspesion, no lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel
XC-W=2 stroke, wide ratio, softer suspension, lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel
XCF=4 stroke, tight gear ratio, stiffer suspension, lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel
XCF-W=4 stroke, wide ratio gear box, softer suspension, lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel
SX=2 stroke, MXer, stiff suspension, 19inch rear wheel
SXF=4 stroke, MXer, stiff suspension, 19inch rear wheel

Also, the KTM is more money the Honda because it is built better and with better componints. They also do not depretiate as much as a Jap bike, and they are Race Ready.

You should look into the KTM 200XC-W, 250XC-W, and 250XCF-W. The 200 is cheaper then the CRF250X and faster and the 250XC is the same price.

drown

Jun 18, 2007
Thanks 2 Strokes, i was actually up in prince george riding my Honda CRF230R all last week... KTM makes a nice bike, whats the difference between the honda models and the ktm models? For the riding in PG, i seen alot of guys on KTMs and thats the type of riding i'd be doing most... lots of get up and go.. and a good bottom end to over come my buddies hondas... I like the look of KTM a little more than honda, Which way would you go?

Jan 3, 2007
drown, i myself am going eaither Yamaha WR450, GasGas EC300, Beta RR450, or Sherco 2.5I. My reasons for the Yamaha is the fact the dealer here is great and i like them and parts take only 2 to 7 days. The reason for a GasGas is i love 2 strokes and the GasGas has a 6 speed tranny for if I do dual-sport the bike. I would get a Beta 450 because its engine is the same as the KTM but the bik looks different. The sherco because know one has one, and its fule injected. I would buy a KTM but so many people have them and i like to be different.

In your case i would probably go KTM. They sell for a good price in PG and the parts are easy to get. I think the 200XC would be best if you would like a 2 stroke because its got quite a bit of bottom end and can stretch its long 6 speed box in a hurry to keep up with 450s. Its also extreamly light for this kind of bike.

drown

Jun 18, 2007
XCF=4 stroke, tight gear ratio, stiffer suspension, lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel
XCF-W=4 stroke, wide ratio gear box, softer suspension, lighting coil, 18inch rear wheel

I'd probably be intrested in a 4 stroke simply for maintence purposes... though, tight gear box? wide gear box? for a start stop and go start stop and go kinda ride, which would be best for that?

Top Bottom