cr450f vs euro bikes for trail/enduro

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Morning people :)

My local honda dealer is doing good prices, I think, on cr450f's that aren't moving as quickly as they would like. For around 20 % less than my other option - te450 I could have a cr450 now. The cr won't be road legal here, won't have electric start, and will quite a bit louder. Aside from that, how does the cr perform as a trail/enduro bike vs the best the euros have to offer? B level rider. Is it more flickable than a 426 on tight single track?

I am not considering the cr all that seriously, or at least I don't want to :), so please talk me out of it!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
There are 2 for sale in my local paper, desertized. They just aren't giving good showings yet. :| One of the bikes I know, and have ridden. The owner has dumped about $1500 into it, and is asking $5900. :whiner:

If I were riding MX though, right now I would probably be riding one. That is until the KTM 450 is available. ;)

RTKLR1

Apr 23, 2000
I own a 2001 ktm 400 exc and got to ride a honda 450 today,I rode it on some fast up hill trail sections with some rocks and root steps in it.The honda has alot more mid-range and up horsepower but is way easier to stall,it doesnt have neer the low end snap as the ktm,there is no doubt the 450 has more power when you are revving it up but I like the ktm better for trail riding,it is way easier to ride fast for me especially on terrain that is new to me.The honda feels and is light,started very easy,steers very good,isnt as stable feeling,is loud. for me the ktm is more fun, the honda with some mods would be alot better but I dont like the low rpm flat spot.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I have an '02 400 MXC with an EE 450 big bore kit, I have rode a friends CRF and although it is a nice bike there is no stinking way that I would trade my katoom for one, no way. KTM has much better manners, with the 450 kit better power! So either wait for the '03's to roll out or buy an '02 400 and put a 450 kit in it!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I've ridden a KTM 450 and own a CRF. I'm curious what you like about the KTM 450 that makes it better than the CRF. It still has less bottom end, snap, and power. Granted it is smoother, but for cross country work I'm still going with the CRF. Riding style has alot to do with this, I'm sure. I do know that I can ride the snot out of a 400 compared to my 450. With the KTM you can just hammer it and stay out of trouble, where the Honda will make me pay if I play Billy Badass too long in tight stuff. On the other hand when it opens up and you start squirting down straight aways and grass tracks that motor comes in real handy compared to the tamer KTM.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Smitty makes a good point. Your original question is about the Husky, I don't think their are many of them around so KTM will probably be your best comparision. Most of the comparisions so far are EXC to CRF when it should be SX to CRF.

I think Smitty's description sounds like my bike, yet with lots of low end power for those stepped hills. Best of both worlds. BTW, if you do(I mean when) stall it on the hill, the e-button comes in very handy :aj:

Good luck Bud :)

RTKLR1

Apr 23, 2000
The crf 450 that I rode didnt have near the bottom end snap as my stock ktm 400 exc,the honda is also stock, is it that the honda needs different jetting,it had a definate flat spot down low where it didnt pull at all???? It is a really nice bike but for trail riding I like the ktm better,if I were riding in more open terrain I would go for the honda.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Smitty, welcome to the ORANGE room;). I actually love the CRF. I had a deposit on one before they came out. The motor is incredible. For desert the bike is just too darn stiff (for me). Also top speed on the CRF = the top speed on my 400 in 4th gear (I have two left). I am calculating this on the gear by gear/sprocket ratios to determine final drive. RPM's will certainly be a factor.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Smitty, the Honda is a great bike and I am sure that terrain has a lot to do with it. Most everything we ride is tight woods, the KTM power with the 450 kit is just like the 400 only a lot more everywhere, very linear, very nice for tight woods riding, the CRF would wear me out during a 3 hour HS here in Michigan, thus my preference for the katoom.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Strick, I got to keep an eye on this room and make sure you Pumpkin boys don't get too worked up and proclaim the RFS the pinnacle of off road motorcycling now and forever. ;)

P.S. I used to own a 300 MXC.

Top Bottom