Tomdes

Jul 24, 2001
Does anyone know of any plans by Honda to produce a woods bike based on the new CR450F? It seems like an awsome platform for for a trail bike. I would think that with all the talk of restricting two stroke usage in the future that 4-strokes would be a priority at the manufacturers. Has anyone ridden the CR450F in the woods ? I would suspect that overheating wil be a big problem, as it is with the YZ400/426 on trails.Is the CR450F any easier to start than the XR400?

Dirtnut

Oct 10, 2001
Tomdes
I just rode one yesterday. I live in northern Michigan and we were ridding in the hard woods. The 450 was good. Motor is awsome. Rear suspension is awsome. Front end needs some work. I felt like I was ridding down hill all the time. Handles and turns really well, wants the inside of the corners. 1st gear is to tall for the woods I think 2 teeth on the rear sprocket will fix that or maybe 1 down on the countershaft. It was only 40 degrees so it was a little lean on the pilot. The best thing about the bike is its light really light. I loved it. Now if we can get Honda to put some lights on it and make an enduro bike we will be all set. It doesn't start as easy as everyone said but it does start easyier than the Yamaha's. I think that this starting war is a matter of knowing the bike, wether it is Yam or Honda or any of the 4 strokes. This will be my next bike. :)

MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
1st gear is to tall for the woods I think 2 teeth on the rear sprocket will fix that or maybe 1 down on the countershaft

The front is only 13 teeth so I don't think you'd want to go any smaller than that. The rear is 50 tooth and I'm going to replace it with a 52. I wish the front was a 14 so I could just slap a smaller front on there, that would make it easy.

racerx125

Jun 1, 2001
I read an article in Dirt Rider Magazine hat was an interview with Honda. They said they would NOT produce a woods version ofthe 450!! I think this was in the September issue!! :p

Dirtnut

Oct 10, 2001
Ok Damon

Don't take this personally but when you get the cr450e send me some pictures I would like to see it.. Why would Itally get an enduro version and not the USA. That is not fair.........

damon

Sep 29, 1999
you know that honda italy always legalized the cr into cre.
they present it at the milan motor show.
if i find any photo i ll send you

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
Here is your picture, although not very good.
noticias2.asp

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
With the CFR the only thing you might want to really watch out for is the cooling capability of the bike. With the bikes that we have set up, if they sit idling for more then a couple of minutes they will start to boil over, just like the YZ426s. Since starting the bike is so easy, shutting them off instead of letting them idle should take care of that.

Firemedic530

Nov 12, 2000
I was hoping for the same thing, but then thought about Honda's past record here. The XR's are their off-road enduro/ trail bikes and always have been. During the late 80's the CR's were king and Enduros were popular and the KDX250,RMX250,WR250 were all released to the public and how did Honda respond?:think I hope the renaming of their play bikes to CRF is a clue to something better, but history says no. I will sign up for an off road version given the choice, but I will probably convert the CRF next year. Tim

Uhhh...
Jun 16, 2001
Originally posted by Ando
if they sit idling for more then a couple of minutes they will start to boil over, just like the YZ426s.

I use mine (YZ426) around London, even on two wheels the traffic is so bad The engine does nothing but idle for long periods! Never had a problem with boiling over.

Ando

Apr 5, 2000
Conditions here on Kauai are what you might call extreme, as far as cooling issues go. Super slow tight trails resulting in very slow average bike speeds. The big 4-strokes universally have cooling trouble in summer time. As long as you keep moving they work ok, but stop and idle for more then a couple of minutes and they will boil.

Dirtnut

Oct 10, 2001
:) I believe in the woods top end isn't that important. Very few people can average 24 mph in the woods. There is one I think his name is Mike Laferty.

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I humbly submit my O2 that a wide ratio trans would be of great advantage with the 450s power. Yea, top end may not be as important as a deep low gear, but I will maintain that the higher gear ratios will be of great benefit and turn the bike into a very capable "WOODS" bike. Remember, you still ride on higher speed trails and some roads and yes, the enduros are also the same. Just my O2 that this would make the 450 a great "woods & trail" bike.:cool:

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by damon
i ve bought one, a crf450e .
here in italy they produce the enduro version.
i hope to receive it in 2 weeks.;)
TAL
Hello Damon,

What is the price in Italy ?
What about the gearing for Enduro ?
It would be interesting to know the real "wet" weight of the Enduro version
I'm wondering about one, living in Belgium, ITALY is not so far.
Do you have the adress, or mail of the cie producing the "E" ?

Thank you

RakO:confused: :think

Top Bottom