ChadInColo

Feb 14, 2005
Ok, here's the deal. I got on the CR (89 model) Friday for the first time since the start of the summer (been riding my VFR all summer, too hot for the dirt). After getting over the feeling that I sat insanely high compared to the VFR (because it is) I had fun, started getting reaquianted. Then the bad, hit a rut, laid it down, not a big deal, didn't even stall. Get up, get on, next bump, splat, oil all over. The handlebar hit a bleeder valve and broke it...

Two questions, one, the aftermarket valve I got is a different thread, counter person said "that's all they make" when I took it back, so I guess it's stock Honda part or nothing, right?

Second question, why did my bar hit it? I have Renthals (unknown bend, on the bike when I got it) and the bar sits 1/4-1/2 inch away, first up bend is closest to the valves, what should I check, are the clamps rubber mounted? I am probably going to get some new bars (I'm 6'3", the bars need to be another 3 inches or so higher) so is there a difference in the width where the bars turn up? Should I drop the forks in the clamps to gain some space? Help me out anyway you can.

Top Bottom