CR500 gas tank Clarke vs. IMS....

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
I had a Clarke tank on my 95 CR5 untill a rock punctured it during a "tempory loss of corner speed".... well I was never to impressed with the design of the tank, it smushed into the radatior hoses and into air box/boot AND the way the tank mounts with the bolts going through the tank was kinda scary IMO....

I figured it was a larger tank and thats"just how it has to be"..WRONG .... I replaced that wounded tank with a clear IMS tank and , guess what.... IT FITS !!! without hitting anything at all and it looks like it was really degsined to fit on my bike.

So.... wtf am I sayin here??

Dont ever get a Clarke tank for a CR500, the IMS fits WAY better!!

my 5 cents

NEMX305

~SPONSOR~
Mar 25, 2001
All IMS tanks must not fit the same, because I put one of there tanks on my CR500 and it broke both of the inlets to the tops of the radiators. When you leaned on the tank it put pressure right on the radiator. The only way to stop it was to put a shim between the tank and the rubber pad on the backbone of the frame. Talked to a few cr500 owners with ims tanks and they had to do the same. Tim

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Well my OPINION is the Clarke has the same profile at the seat/tank junction as stock and the IMS is at least 1.5" wider there. Clarke has a nicer cap (similar to stock). As to the fit round the hoses - did you reverse the clamps as per the instructions?

Clarke has a new 4 gal for the CR500 which I haven't seen, but that is now the largest available so buyers should consider that too.

Just my $.02 YMMV.

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
weird.....

My radatior hoses rubbed the tank about half way down the radatior and the back of the tank hit the air box..... I rotated the hose clamps too:cool:

neither is as slim as a stock tank.....

I did read in the instructions that due to production varations (or somthin like that) that the capacity of the tank might be off by 7%.

OK so I'm just glad that this tank fits:think

Top Bottom