CR500 Rear Rim Swap? (87 to a 97)

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
I sold my 87 cr500 hill climbing beast for a tricked out 97 cr500. I still have my extra rim with a paddle on it from my 87. What I need to know is will it fit my 97 cr500? I know this "rear-rim" topic rages on but if anyone has any input that would be great. The Service Honda parts shows different numbers but as we all know, many parts are interchangable.

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
I know and from looking at it, it looks like it will work. I just don't want to get 10 miles into a ride and chew up the bearings or trash the hub. Then I have to replace two rims.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, I'd say if the axle fits thru the bearings, snugly and the spacers fit into the swingarm, without any play (after tightening), then it fits and you won't have any issues.

Should be able to tell without leaving the garage. If there are any doubts, don't ride with it.

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
Udpate. The rim fits but the paddles are causing the tire to rub about a 1/8 inch against the neck of the swingarm. I can't move the axle back any farther because it is almost maxed out anyway. I think that even if I mounted this tire on my 97 rim, I would still have the same issue. The rims apprear to be the same except for the bearings.

The solution would be a low profile 18x2.15 paddle tire. Right now, it is a pretty beefy 10 paddle tire. My question is do they make a lower profile paddle for the 18x2.15 rim?

Top Bottom