CR500AF pipe & silencer question

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Hey everyone,

Can anyone tell me if the "Service Honda" CR500AFs use a standard "250" silencer or if they use a silencer unique to the 500AF?

I know that both FMF and ProCircuit make pipes for the 500AFs for Service Honda and they both offer "regular" and spark arrestor silencers for these pipes. I'm trying to find out if the "500AF" versions are different than what you'd get for that year CR250 or not.

Finally, does anyone know if the pipes themselves are available outside of Service Honda?

Thanks in advance for the help.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The muffler is unique. I have the PC and FMF pipes from Service, the center mount is different. The stock pipe fits if you buzz off the center mount (I don't use anything there) - not sure if a stock FMF or PC would fit but I would think, based on the stock pipe fitting, that they would - same caveat on the middle mount.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
KiwiBird,

Thanks much for the info. I guess that means I'm buying both the pipe and silencer new, rather than searching for one on that auction site which must remain unnamed. :) I've got to buy a 500 pipe of some sort anyway so I guess I'll be purchasing the purpose-built "Service Honda" pipes for my 500 project.

But since you have both pipes, which do you prefer, the FMF or ProCircuit? Do you run standard silencers or spark arrestors? Any input you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks much.

Michael

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why not check with the tech support at either company and see if they can help ya' out with fittment issues? Not that Kiwi isn't helpful or anything.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
FMF is my choice - the PC pipe is smooth and may be better for mud and slick conditions as the FMF has a good burst in the low end. The stock pipe is sort of in between the FMF and PC. I run the PC SA ( the FMF wasn't available when I got my AF so it was all PC).

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
KiwiBird, thanks for the info. So the PC pipe is a more all-around pipe and the FMF has a bit more of a low-end bias? Is your 500 engine stock?

I've got a 39.5mm Keihin from a KX500 for it (as well as the stock 38mm Keihin) and am also planning on an Eric Gorr "Mo Betta" port job at some point as well. I'm looking for all-around power. You know, major bottom-end power that transitions into a top-end hit that makes you soil your riding pants. :D With that in mind, would you prefer the PC or FMF? From the above, I'm thinking PC, but I'd rather find out first-hand than take a guess myself.

Patman, I tried emailing ProCircuit twice and it bounced both times. So I figured I'd try on here and see if an end user could give me the straight poop.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
OK, I got the latest and greatest:

Both FMF and PC DO make pipes for the CR500AF, as I said. However, ProCircuit only sells the 500AF pipes to Service Honda. I assume the 500AF silencers are in the same boat. FMF will sell the pipe and silencers to anyone, but they only make a "Gnarly" pipe for the 500. The "Gnarly" model, if you don't know already, is more of a low-end design.

Kiwibird, are you interested in selling that ProCircuit pipe? Or perhaps helping me procure a new one from Service Honda, assuming your 500AF is a "genuine article" of course.

I'd rather not go the "buzz off the center mount" route as I'd like a nickel-plated pipe for corrosion resistance.

ononewheel

Nov 4, 2003
Would a novice be able to ride a CR500 on a thin track as quick if not quicker than a 250??

Was just wonderin if that because it has more power if it will be harder (or possable) to ride it around a tight track??

Also do they handle well in corners??

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
mtk - I will be selling my AF early next year (make room for a new something) and will consider selling the PC pipe at that time.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i like riding the four strokes just not working on them when they break aka: my last yz426 sheared the wrist pin in half ......................ouch

Top Bottom