380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Well I have had months of turmoil. And wake up everyday wanting a different bike. I have narrowed it down between a 04 525SX or a CR500AF but now I need to choose between the two. My last bikes were an 02 380SX, 01 Husaberg FC550 and a 99 380EXC. All were big power bikes with the 550 having the most. I really like the open class power. I like the power of the 4-strokes a little more but I hate engine braking. Im not to keen on the oil changes and valve adjustments of the 4-strokes, not to mention they are not much more than time bombs waiting to go off. Sure they may never go off, but when they do you better be prepared to take out a second on the house. So I think I would prefer the CR500AF. I told the wife what it costs and she said that I could get it but I better plan on having this bike longer "a really long time" than a year. Anyway.... Does anyone know when the 04 CR500AF's will be out. And does Honda have a financing program for these bikes. I doubt my bank will have any clue... AJ you out there? I would mainly be using it in the desert and a MX here or there. Has anyone put a flywheel weight on these bikes? The no power valve thing seems a little intimidating... Well thats enough for now... Thanks for any help guys......

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Hey my bud just got one last week! It weigh's just as much as the 250 and I wouldn't worry about the no power valve. It's light, smooth and grunty your getting the best of both worlds with it. I haven't ridden a big bore two stroke in many years and same with my friend his last bike was a 01 YZ250/290F. The motor was stock it's not the uncontrollable wheel spinning beast he was afraid it was going to be. He got it with the pro circuit pipe/silencer setup and it does come with a spark arrestor too. The bike is Trick/Sano I normally ride 125's but this bike even makes me want one, was money very well spent. We rode it out at SIR on saturday and it was muddy and slick. I'm sure a fly wheel weight will make it more controllable but I'd have no prob ridding it stock in the trails just ride it a gear high and grunt your way around. The bike would have preformed better if it would of had better tires than the stockers.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
forwarded to both gregg and aj you should hear from some one soon. I really like my af 500 no question there and no other bike for me.

wardy

WhKnuckle

May 14, 2003
Get the 500AF, trust me. There's no better dirt bike in the world, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, big or little, regardless of color, creed or sexual orientation. Suggestions:
RG3 triple clamp to reduce vibration;
ERT chain;
At least 49T rear sprocket (48T stocker = 95 MPH);
Good tires;
Universal or ProTaper bar (another vibration tactic);
No flywheel weight, just don't turn the throttle all the way if you don't want the tire to spin;
Billet case covers (no funtional reason but just look too cool to pass up).

Don't worry about keeping the bike more than a year - it'll take longer than that to wipe the grin off your face. Also, you won't give a hoot about the power valve or lack thereof - the powerband is about the size of the Hoover Dam as it is.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
the CR has enough low end, even when you are BELOW the meat of the power band to go rediculously fast through corners.  And when you do want the boost, there it is!

the average 250 on the other hand, can cruise through corners at low rpms, but to really ride at race speeds, it needs to be in the powerband.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Anybody hear of Service Honda taking an existing CR500 and "AF'ing" it?  I'd love to go AF, but I'd hate to sell my 96, then donate my left ...er....thumb... to go all new.  I could live with the existing engine and new chassis. 

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ok more questions. Which tank the IMS or the Clark fits the best? Also is it possible to put a hydraulic clutch on a CR 500? What can be done with porting, as far as changing the characteristics of the motor? I left a voice mail at Service Honda for AJ. I will try him again later....

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
I thought Honda quit making the 2 stroke 500? I went to the Honda sight and there is nothing on them. What does the AF stand for. The 500 is news to me, I just bought a 03 250 and the 500 could have been an option.

YZ-Red

Apr 27, 2000
yes you can put a hydro clutch on a 500, I have a magura, but hebo and others make them to. This really helps with riding the 500, clutch pull is much lighter.

A flywheel wieght is also an excellent option, makes the bike more predictable in tight and/or slippery going.

Good luck
Red

SK 250

Sep 19, 2003
WOW, talk about trick, they build the bike specificly for you. A pretty price tag even before you start adding extras., but I am alittle blinded by price since I just got a killer deal on a new from the factory CR250R 6300.00 taxes in CANADIAN!! So ya I would be looking at at least twice that for the 500, not to mention a long wait. but for twice the money I would get twice the cc's.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The IMS tank looks like it fits fine on it, didn't ask the guy exactly what size it was but didn't look like there was any clearance issue's.

Top Bottom