Mar 1, 2005
update:cr60 starts and dies

ok, finally i know my true problem with the 60. i got the right meter and tested my ignition components to find my pickup coil has gone bad, though it seems the actual stator itself is still ok.my only guess is this is why when it would run everyday it would act in a diff way, and when i finally got a chance to put a good load on the motor after awhile the heat must've finally shorted it out.anybody know if the early cr80's stators will work with this bike or anything else i could try? if anybody has a stator assmebly or just the stator plate and the little pickup coil they wanna sell please let me know,thanks.

heres my update on my cr. as of now i have replaced the reeds, checked and cleaned everything in the carb,checked my ignition and replaced the plug and air filter. all the bike will do is start if i hold the throttle open some then after a second or so it dies. the plug is wet so i assume it not a fuel problem unless its getting to much but i dont see anything coming out the overflow tubes but maybe it can still be off i'm not sure. the ignition seemed ok my spark was blue with a new plug but my ? is does the spark have to be a certain size for the bike to run? if so would all i need to change is the gap or can the spark not be enough as far as the ignition producing it even though it is the right color? oh it also fires consistently as the engine is cranked. i am stumped, any input at all will be very much appreciated

just for the extra info. as off last weekend it would start and run everyday but would run really rough unless i got in a open space and kept the throttle pinned. after a while i was on my way back home and it started bogging and right before i made it to my driveway it died completely and ever since then all it will do is start and die.

Last edited:

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Possibly , could the bottom end have too much fuel in it . I once had a bike that had a leaky fuel valve and needle seat in the carb . It would slowly transfer fuel int the crankcase . You would go to start the bike and it would start momentarily anf foul the plug. after about 5 plugs , I put my finger over the open spark plug hole and kicked it over , a good fuel mist came from around my finger wich led me to the problem . Also make sure the same thing jas not happened in the pipe .

Top Bottom