CR80/85 CDI's Are there any variations in ignition curves?

YamYam67

Aug 13, 2006
Hi
Does anybody know what, if any, variations exist in the CR80/85 cdi's. I am particularly interested in the ignition curves. I race a mini sidecar outfit in the UK with a CR80 motor (86 to 2002 models). I have 2 types of CDI at the moment, one very old 1983 one with the mounting lug on it with CI-47 and 3.8 stamped on it and a newer type of box with CF508, 091 and 5.9 stamped on it. Does anyone know what these numbers mean?
Both of these boxes seem to have very different characteristics, as i found out by chance when I swapped the boxes whilst trying to chase down a misfire.
The reason i am so interested in finding out is because a std Moto X ignition curve isn't quite what you need on a road racing machine. Unfortunately our rules only allow stock Ignitions but luckily fails to specify from what year!. But if variation did exist then in theory I could select the CR80 Cdi box with the most suitable curve for a certain circuit or weather conditions. Always assuming of course that they are genuinely interchangable!
Its a long shot but it might just work!

Top Bottom