metaldude1742

Jun 16, 2007
My friend just bought a 2001 cr80 and there are a few problems with it... first of all it doesnt seem like is has hardly any power, it boggs really bad going up hills and is nearly impossible to crank and it doesnt idle at all. The carb has been cleaned and the spark plug replaced but it still doesnt run right
We believe it could possibly need a top end rebuild and we were wondering if it has points, cause it sounds like that could be the problem if it does.
If it needs the topend rebuilt, how much would it cost and what all would be involved in doing it??

Thanks

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
Does it have compression?If not, buy a new top end. For the stock cr80 bore, a piston kit is about $50, and no cr80s do not have points.

Last edited:

metaldude1742

Jun 16, 2007
alright man... thanks
me and my family all ride sport quads (yea yea lol) so we're all new to 2 stroke bikes so we arnt really sure how it all works, but we're trying to find out cause the friend with the bike doesnt really have alot of money

so is there alot of work with putting in a top end??
he found one for 18 dollars, and we've never done it before, me and my dad do all our own work so we're pretty mechanically inclined but like i said we arnt sure what all is involved so any help would be appricated

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
It really shouldn't be too hard. There are only four bolts holding the cylinder onto the bottom end. To make it easier to access, you should pull the expansion chamber (pipe), the coolant hoses leading to the head,(or just take off the four bolts that attach the head and pull that) and the spark plug boot. You also have to take off the carburator by unbolting the four bolts that attach the boot to the cylinder. Once you are ready to put everything back together, you have to compress the piston rings so the piston will fit into the cylinder. They make special ring compressors to do this job, or you can just use your fingers but it is much more frustrating this way. I hope this helps and let me know how it worked out for you.

X-Rider

Apr 11, 2007
yup definitely sounds like you're loosing compression...i had the same problem so i rebuilt my entire engine and now it runs like a charm

Top Bottom