CR80 questions and stuff

powerband trouble

i recently got a rather old bike off my cousin that ran very well but was a little iffy in the powerband area. when i first got it the pb would kick in like normal from 3rd-6th gear but it would have trouble in 1 and 2. so i cleaned the carb and jets but now the pb doesnt kick in at all it just crackles and sputters when in high rpms. i'm new to 2-strokes and ive tried searching everwhere for help and ive only come up with a few things that "might" help (as they said) like adjusting the floats and checking the coil wire and plug cap. I may be able to do the floats but i dont know enough about the electric stuff to fix the coil and plug. this may just be an old bike. any advice would be appreciated.

exhaust pipe cleaning

i took the fmf pipe off my 86 cr 80 becuase it was dripping oil and i found inside it a fiberglass (i think) mesh that was saturated with oil. i cleaned it and found that one side of the mesh was not soft anymore and had become hard and crispy with the burnt oil. can i just remove this entirely? i dont want to buy another pipe since im selling the bike as soon as its running. thanks

ghunter

Lifetime Sponsor
Most silencers/spark arrestors can be re-packed. Check your local shop for silencer packing material and re-pack that puppy. Without packing your bike will be very loud and can even possibly lose performance as the pipes are developed you be used with a 'packed' silencer.

As for the popping/crackling, sounds like improper jetting to me. Make sure the bike is completely warmed up and perform a spark plug check for jetting. Search for spark plug + jetting here to find several threads explaining how.

Good luck.

concerning the pipe: the hole filled cylinder that runs through the middle of the pipe is no longer filled with holes because i guess carbon has filled them all in. can i still save by cleaning the holes with a drill bit or something?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
Melvin Linsphere said:
concerning the pipe: the hole filled cylinder that runs through the middle of the pipe is no longer filled with holes because i guess carbon has filled them all in. can i still save by cleaning the holes with a drill bit or something?

I use a propane torch on mine.. Heat it up, burn off the oil & carbon and wire brush it.. Comes nice and clean that way.