Jul 8, 2007
powerband trouble

i recently got a rather old bike off my cousin that ran very well but was a little iffy in the powerband area. when i first got it the pb would kick in like normal from 3rd-6th gear but it would have trouble in 1 and 2. so i cleaned the carb and jets but now the pb doesnt kick in at all it just crackles and sputters when in high rpms. i'm new to 2-strokes and ive tried searching everwhere for help and ive only come up with a few things that "might" help (as they said) like adjusting the floats and checking the coil wire and plug cap. I may be able to do the floats but i dont know enough about the electric stuff to fix the coil and plug. this may just be an old bike. any advice would be appreciated.

Jul 8, 2007
exhaust pipe cleaning

i took the fmf pipe off my 86 cr 80 becuase it was dripping oil and i found inside it a fiberglass (i think) mesh that was saturated with oil. i cleaned it and found that one side of the mesh was not soft anymore and had become hard and crispy with the burnt oil. can i just remove this entirely? i dont want to buy another pipe since im selling the bike as soon as its running. thanks

ghunter

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 24, 2001
Most silencers/spark arrestors can be re-packed. Check your local shop for silencer packing material and re-pack that puppy. Without packing your bike will be very loud and can even possibly lose performance as the pipes are developed you be used with a 'packed' silencer.

As for the popping/crackling, sounds like improper jetting to me. Make sure the bike is completely warmed up and perform a spark plug check for jetting. Search for spark plug + jetting here to find several threads explaining how.

Good luck.

Jul 8, 2007
concerning the pipe: the hole filled cylinder that runs through the middle of the pipe is no longer filled with holes because i guess carbon has filled them all in. can i still save by cleaning the holes with a drill bit or something?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Melvin Linsphere said:
concerning the pipe: the hole filled cylinder that runs through the middle of the pipe is no longer filled with holes because i guess carbon has filled them all in. can i still save by cleaning the holes with a drill bit or something?

I use a propane torch on mine.. Heat it up, burn off the oil & carbon and wire brush it.. Comes nice and clean that way.

Top Bottom