greaser

Mar 7, 2002
I just got a hoopty 1996 CR80RB....the previous owner didn't have the owners manual.
Does anyone know the torque specs for the head, cylinder, and suspension linkage, fork clamps, and swingarm .
Any assistance , will certainly be appreciated.
Luckily the bike so far ....doesn't need the cases split....but everything else needs attention.
Blown fork seals....decomposed air filter.....stripped screws on front brake reservoir......missing front brake pads.......bad rear wheel bearings....stretched chain and bent sprockets.....bald ' 96 tires....that's it for now.
Good things......cylinder 'looks ' good, reeds are fine, seat is still stock and only has some mold on it . Shifter and rear brake pedals are not bent, frame and subframe not bent, carb is intact, both pipes are not bent ...but are rusty.

see ya
donnie

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
What the heck happened to that thing? Sounds like it went through a war! Hears my advice to you, for about 40-50 dollars you can go out and get a CLYMER shop manual that will give you all the torque specs, mantenance procedures, everything. It also sound like you should find a job, that is going to become a very expensive project.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
I can figure everything out on the bike , except the transmission. So I don't really need a clymers......if someone will help me out. I believe the 96's are the same up to 01 at least. If I was to buy a manual , it would definitely eat into my narrowing profit margin.
I have had to stop breaking it down, at the swingarm bolt . Seems that the bearings are seized to the bolt. Or whatever. Letting them soak for a few days. A punch and a sledgehammer and 4 good hits didn't do a thing !!!!

They had the wheel so far back , that the disc brake assembly was off of the track on the swingarm.......At least they used oil in the gas.
I found ATF in the transmission , about a quart, in an 80.

see ya
donnie

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Honda Pro HP 5W fork oil is what the manual recomends. For a '96 CR80 it says to put in 359 ml of oil/ 12.1 U.S. ounces/ or 12.6 U.K. ounces. Hope that helps!

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Thanks # 53,

Project is coming apart , pretty well now.

Do you have any clues on head or cylinder torques ????

thanks alot
donnie

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Here are some torque specs.
Cylinder

Cylinder Head Nuts- 27 N.m/20 ft.-lb.
Cylinder Base Nuts- 27 N.m/20 ft.-lb.
Reed Valve Screws (apply thread locking compound)- 1 N.m/9 in.-lb.
Intake Manifold Bolt- 9 N.m/80 in.-lb.
Spark Plug- 18 N.m/13 ft.-lb.

Shock Absorber

Upper Mounting Nut (U-nut)- 45 N.m/ 33 ft.-lb.
Lower Mounting Bolt- 43 N.m/32 ft.-lb.
Damper Rod End Nut (Stake)- 35 N.m/26 ft.-lb.
Damping Valve- 18 N.m/13 ft.-lb.
Spring Adjuster Lock Nut- 90 N.m/66 ft.-lb.
Shock Link-To-Swingarm Bolt (U-nut)- 60 N.m/44 ft.-lb.
Shock Arm-To-Link Bolt (U-nut)- 60 N.m/44 ft.-lb.
Shock Arm-To-Frame (U-nut)- 60 N.m/44 ft.-lb.
Swingarm Pivot Bolt Nut- 80 N.m/59 ft.-lb.
Subframe Mounting Bolts- 22 N.m/16 ft.-lb.

Fork

Fork Cap To Damper Rod/Locknut- 20 N.m/15 ft.-lb.
Fork Cap To Fork Tube- 35 N.m/26 ft.-lb.
Fork Center Bolt (apply thread locking compound)- 55 N.m/40 ft.-lb.
Fork Protector Bolt (apply thread locking compound)- 13 in.-lb./115 ft.-lb.
Fork Tube Pinch Bolt- 22 N.m/16 ft.-lb.

Swingarm (at least in that general vicinity) :)

Rear Axle Nut- 90 N.m/66 ft.-lb.
Rear Master Cylinder Push Rod Joint Lock Nut- 18 N.m/13 ft.-lb.
Rim Lock Nuts- 13 N.m/115 in.-lb.

Hope this helps, if you need any other info just post!:thumb:

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Thanks alot #53,

I know that took alot of time, I certainly appreciate your efforts.
It printed up great also.

When I get started on the reassembly of this bike , I'll keep you up to date.
Hopefully running by January 1 !!!!

see ya
donnie

ranout2wice

Nov 14, 2003
try this link. It's a forum for Kart's but they use the cr-80 engine.
http://www.trtracing.com/cr80transrebuild/index.htm.I used this when splitting and rebuilding my (96 cr-80) It's detailed and will get you thru the process when you do have to go as far as splitting the case.

RS
Detroit Mi

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Latest update:

I ended up buggering up the threads on the swingarm bolt , and couldn't find anyone local with a tap that would fit it . So waiting on a new one .
The bearings were in tact on the swingarm and the linkage. The swingarm bolt was just fused to the sleeves on the swingarm bearings. It took some persuasion , with some penetrating oil and a ball peen and a small sledge but it worked it's way loose.
The bottom fork bolt , that I shouldn't have taken loose, was retightened by fabricating a 1" water pipe to go down into the fork to hold the cartridge or whatever that thing is. And then the bottom bolt/valve body tightened right up.
I am having a few issues with front end alignment or the front brake piston is not closing all the way....cause the front wheel is dragging.
I will probably start it in a few days, and put the bolt in when UPS comes.

see ya

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Sounds like it's coming along pretty well, or as well as it can anyway. By the time your done with this project your going to know more than you want to about CR80's! Well, keep up the good work and keep us informed.

-Red Rider

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom