DBR

May 30, 2008
I want to buy a `97 CR80R but the guy who is selling it says it has a frozen crank bearing. He says it would be an easy cheap fix, but I have very little knowledge in this area. So I was wondering if it would be a like he said, a cheap fix if i took it to a dealer or something? It's $300 and it looks like its in nice shape... Oh, and he said it ran strong last year.
What do you think?

Thanks for your time.

allthingsdirt

Jun 6, 2007
Cheap fix, yes, if you do it yourself. Not really an easy job though. If you have very little experience like you say then this job could prove challenging.

If you're up for a challenge, get yourself a proper manual for the bike, the bearings, crank seals and the gaskets and take your time. :cool:

ps: no drinking while doing this job ;)

edit: if you're refering to the big connecting rod bearing then you'll also likely have to take it to a machine shop to have the crank halves pressed apart and then back together with the new bearing.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Best bet, get a kit from motosport.com.. They should have everything you need to rebuild that engine for around $285.

Crank & rod, bearings, seals, piston & rings, wristpin, clips and gaskets..

No need to deal with the crank pressing.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Indy is right. The labor alone on a crank job can cost more than a new crank if you put it in yourself.

DBR

May 30, 2008
Thanks for the responses.
So it'll end up costing me a couple hundred bucks...

Do I need any special tools to do this? I've got all the standard stuff.
Nothing specifically for bikes.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You'll need a flywheel puller, which you should be able to get at any bike shop for about 15 bucks..

Then you'll need something to help split the cases. I use a steering wheel puller on the small engines.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
allthingsdirt said:
ps: no drinking while doing this job ;)

Hmmmm, sounds like a challenge!! I tried this once and tore apart my garage looking for my 10mm socket which was on my wrench, in my back pocket. Wife wasn't at all impressed.

Top Bottom