motoyoyo

~SPONSOR~
Apr 9, 2002
I noticed some play in the front end on my son's 2003 CR85 when I held the front wheel between my legs and moved the handelbars side to side. I found that both lower fork legs had quite a bit of play in the bushings of the upper fork legs. The fork seals are not leaking at all yet though. This bike has not seen more than 10-15 full days of riding, so I was a bit surprised to see this so soon. Is this normal on the longer suspension of the Expert or is this a weak area on the long suspension CR85's?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
The big wheels front ends are more susceptible to flex . trheres more of a leverage ratio working on the ability of the triple clamps . They sometimes get tweaked easier on a crash also. seems kind of spindly but thats the way it is .

motoyoyo

~SPONSOR~
Apr 9, 2002
Yes, everything is tight. We had a '97 CR80 regular size before this bike and it never had a problem with this. I suppose it's because the forks use all the same parts except the damping rods are longer. the bushing overlap between the upper and lower fork legs is just 2 inches less. I was wondering whether ther are aftermarket bushings that allow for more engagement, or a stronger material that won't wear as quickly.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Not that I know of ,I understand what youre talking about. What you kind of need is a fork brace , they were real popular on regular non upside down forked older bikes. You might see a few on pre 01 RM85s or on bikes like your XRs . Cant reall do anything on the USDs .

Top Bottom