CR85 Leaking exhaust

Lawnman127

Jul 22, 2006
My son's CR85 is leaking and blowing a little oil where the exhaust connects to the head.
I was told that the 04's sometimes have trouble blowing the seals, Is this true?? And would It be ok to ride like this for a week or so until I can get It fixed?
Thanks for the help

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
my 03 did that all the time. i tried replacing the ring between the head and pipe but it never went away. i just rode and it was fine, i'd just have a little more to clean up at the end of the day.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Same issue here. We ended up replacing the seal and then I coated it with copper silicone sealant. So far it's doing well. There are aftermarket solutions as well that use O-rings and a replacement flange if you are so inclined.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
My 03 does it too. I have taken the pipe off and sealed the flange up with RTV red hi-temp silicone several times, but it only seem to last one, maybe two rides.

Cr 1_2_5

Nov 13, 2005
I just replaced mine last week on my yz 125. Two rides There shot and I have oil leaking out. I also bought high temp silicone. If I used enough (not over doing it) it seems to seal a little better.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…