Crack in carb causing leak?

duke

Oct 9, 1999
As of late, I have noticed that the left side of the carb is saturated with dirt and debris after I ride. The cause is fuel escaping from somewhere and attracting the dirt/dust. Acting under the assumption that the cause if a leaky float bowl, I have replaced the gasket to the float bowl twice with little or no improvement. My inspection of the carb body failed to reveal any signs of a crack, chip or imperfect seal between the float bowl and carb body. Any recommendations on how to alleviate the problem? It doesnt bother me to see it, nor does it affect perfomance. But there is the obvious possibility that some debris maybe getting inside, though, I have yet to find any particles inside the bowl.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
My God Watson, you may have something that I never even considered. Closer scruitny as to the contaminates makeup is in order. Oh, BTW, in leaving and arriving at my riding haunts, I often get a look from others still seated in their trucks, who upon seeing the KDX, give a thumbs up. It seems the more sophisticated their bike is, the more gracious a salutation I get. Maybe their exotic taste in machinery leaves them ever more appreciative of this simple machine

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Reesknight said:
Seems a crack in the carb would cause a lean condition as in sucking air in, not leaking fuel out.

And yet further evidence that it might well be residue from the chain lube being flung onto the lower left side of the carb. It is free of any petrolium scent

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Sounds likely that it is the chain then. The other option is that the bowl may be a little warped, just need to file the high points down a little so that it is flush all the way around. That is what mine needed, but it leaked on at least 2 sides so I new it was more than a seal. Plus when I looked at it, the lip of the bowl made a smile between the corners.

Edited to add:
Also, the salutation that you get may be because they realize that they paid 4 times the money for a red stickered 4-stroke compared to a green stickered 2 stroke. (Not that you should rub it in :) )

Top Bottom