Cracked Crankcase - Internal chunk missing

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
(2002 RM125) Ok. Its been a year off my bike fixing problems and Im almost done w/ the engine. To catch everyone up to speed. I had a weight on the crank come loose and shatter inside my engine starting this ripple of unfortunate events. It busted my head, bent the connecting rod, and pieces of junk were thrown all down inside the engine. Well I spend over $500 in parts and seals to do a complete bottom and top rebuild. But now Ive found a chunk missing from inside my case. Ive gone ahead and assembled everything. Cleaned it all out put it all back together. The crack is on the "reed valve" inlet side just above the crank. Ive tried tigwelding the hole up but its just too big to fill. Ive tried showing it on a diagram b/c a pic is hard to get since its on the internals. My question is can I run this engine w/ this chunk missing? I am in college and do not have the $ to fork for another $500 on a case. Plus I want to get out riding and really dont have the time to tear it all down again. Any help is greatly appreciated. I just dont see this piece as being a vital part of compression or air flow but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Here's an image. http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6149/crackedcase4es.jpg

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Looks to me like it would be OK, and at this stage you don't have much to loose. In the future, when you have a catastophic failure like that, youd be surprized what you can pick up a used engine for.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I would not worry about it.
Happy Flogging.

Crazy

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
Thanks alot guys. I know you'd have to be a gear head to look at that diagram and it makes me feel better. I did not think the section has to much pressure on it anways since its soo think and isnt directly affected by compression so I hope I dont loose power. Oldfart. Where would you recommend finding old cases? Ive called around the local shops and have been watching **** faithfully. Is there a store or junkyard wholesaler around?

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
Good news. Got the bike put back together today. After a few kicks and some love the engine fired up and sounds great! (Ill post pics of the build and engine)
Im calling it quits for the weekend. I couldnt ride the bike b/c the clutch is messed up now. Something must be off from when I had the cases split. Ill have to deal with this problem next weekend. Just nice to have a nice running bike $600 later *THUMBSUP*

titoislaidlow

May 30, 2005
Damn. Guess no one cares or wants to see any pictures. More good news. Got the clutch problem worked out and the bike is naughty! Damn this hobby gets expensive.

Top Bottom