Cracked rear shock adjusting ring!!!!!

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
I was cleaning my 400 exc yesterday when something caught my attention. I saw a hairline crank on the adjusting ring near the size 6 allen key bolt. After riding around town last nite, the crack developed to a gap.:scream: Poor me:( got to spend at least a $100 on the repairs. just got the bike for a month and this happened!!!!! Suspected the dealer over tighten the adjusting ring. Is there any after market adjusting ring tat is stronger or I jus have to make sure it's tighten to 8nm of torque???

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
Found mine that way last weekend. None of the dealers here in Phoenix had one, but a local Race Tech guy did. $59.00 for the nut, $200.00 for the rebuild(and revalve). The suspension guy said he see's them broken all the time:( . I don't know of any aftermarket nuts, but the stock one sure is a poor design. BTW the shock revalve did wonders, superplush on single track, and stands up to the biggest g-outs I'll ever see.

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
I have seen new bikes on the showroom floor with the preload rings cracked.

Has anyone checked to see if the two ring set-up from an earlier year model PDS would fit? My `98 had a two ring set-up on it.

Murf

Dec 31, 2000
Preload ring

Been there, done that. I overtightened mine, and it split. Dealer got it covered under warranty. The bad part is the shock has to come apart to get the ring off. I would try the warranty thing if any way possible. Sent it off on Thursday, got it back in about a week and a half, no charge.
Good luck.

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
i went to the dealer today and they gave me a new ring reluctanly, claiming that i had over-tighten it. I insisted on the claim so they just gave it to me anyway. brought it to my friend's shop and had it fixed.:) about the two rings adjusting rings.... I'll go check if it fits. think it works better with a two ring lock anyway. no chance to break anything.:p Thanks guys. Keep those throttle twisted:cool:

katoomster

Oct 16, 2000
Always a problem

My dealer was good enough to warn me about the fragile collar when I picked up the bike, and I have had no problems on my '00. Most likely because they didn't crank on it during initial prep.

I think they can last just fine if you are careful with the torque, but they sure are fragile.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Holeshot KTM claims the rings can be replaced without dismantling the shock. You use a large screwdriver to pry the ends apart just enough to slip it over. I've never tried this, just telling you what I read.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
:think The adjuster rings (single piece) are not a "poor design" - only to those who over tighten the bolt!

Think about it - all you're trying to do is keep that ring from turning. It only takes slightly more than 'finger tight' torque for that bolt to do it's job. If you gorilla-grip it, yeah it'll break!

Also, the "old-style" two ring set up WILL fit the new shocks, but those part numbers have been discontinued by WP. I'm sure there may be a dealer out there with the parts on the shelf, but when those are gone, that's it.

azcourt

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by WhiPit
:think The adjuster rings (single piece) are not a "poor design" - only to those who over tighten the bolt!

Gotta disagree, in my opinion it is an extremely poor design. It is a poorley cast piece of aluminum. There are too many points where it can fracture very easilly. Yeah, i did overtighten it, but it should not be that weak.

joe_ferret

Jul 21, 2001
Bought my 2000 KTM 520sx on Mar 3, 2000.....found broken ring in late December 2000.......KTM covered under warranty.......I overtightened the allen bolt.....have used about 7lb/ft of torque and no more broken collars!

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
Actually, My mechanic did not take apart the shock just to get the adjusting ring in. the method jeb mentioned did work!! but u got to cut a small piece off the ring to just SQUEEZE it in. some of you might say that it might not hold the stress but I m giving it a try. See how long it lasts:D Thanks guys!!!

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
"Gotta disagree, in my opinion it is an extremely poor design. It is a poorley cast piece of aluminum. "

My guess is that it is not "cast". I'm sure it's a machined extrusion. Now, it may very well be a low grade of aluminum, but the bottom line is DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT!

:D

djebel250

Mar 24, 2001
That's why it's always worth-while to invest in a small torque wrench.........
Cheers guys, And keep that throttle twisted!!!!!!!!!:p

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
A torque wrench is great but.. You could just tighten till it won't turn on the body and tighten it no more.. Thats how we do it and I've never had one come lose or break..

Top Bottom