tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
So looks like the KDX I just bought has some damage I didn't know about until I went to fill er up. After removing the gas cap I found a bead of RTV around the base of the tank where the gas cap threads on. I thought this was a very strange place to break a tank? I guess the previous owner must have overtightened the cap or something case I see small cracks. Anyhow, with a full tank, gas come seeping out the tank when I ride. Anybody can a old stock laying around you want to sell? or have some advice on how to fix this one.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
What year is it? Talk to your local dealer & see what they can do. Depending on how good the dealer is, they may be willing to replace it (thinking it's a 98+ model). It's a defect Kawasaki is aware of, but doesn't feel warranted to do a recall & are replacing as needed - but again, this depends on the dealer - some plead ignorance to the issue, some just don't want to know, others are great & just replace.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
First off congrats on the new bike. I had the same problem with my Kdx, although it's a 91. First time I rode it I had a lap full of Premix! :( The gascap gasket was missing so I assume the previous owner overtightened in the attempt to get it to seal. What I did with mine was clean, clean & clean so more to remove old gas & oil. I had a couple old shrouds laying around that I could salvage a few small strips of plastic from & used an old electric soldering iron to "Melt" the plastic into the cracks. It worked like a charm! No leaks & it's going on a year now. I know, Mickey Mouse but it does work. I did pick up an extra tank on E-bay for forty bucks though as a spare. Looks good sitting on the shelf.

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I had the exact same problem with my tank just days after I purchased it.
01KDX220.
Dealer replaced it with out a hitch.

Cheers.
Buc

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I found a 97 tank on ebay that didn't sell. It's purlple or blue so I'mm gonna email the seller to see what he wants for it. What's the going rate on these things?

ob1quixote

Jul 23, 2003
I got a plastic welder from urethanesupply.com
They have filler rods for about any plastic you can find, including polyethelene
I havent used the poly rods yet, but I have used the Fiberflex, which has carbon and glass fibers, to rebuild a car headlight mounting tab, worked great!

If the dealer wont work with you, maybe it would be worth trying. Nice part is, its not terribly expensive.

Robert

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
Thanks for all the feedback. I called a local dealer and he said he'll contact Kawasaki and see if they'd be willing to make a good faith replacement.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
If that doesn't work, don't give up.  There is an 800 number for Kaw USA customer service.  Call them up and tell them that you have a cracked tank.  Also, have you Vin# ready.  They will tell you that the only way the tank service call can be executed is by a dealer.  Then, go to a dealer and tell them that you talked with KAW and that you your cracked tank should be replaced.  Don't take no for an answer, tell them that you want them to call the 800 number while you wait.  Then everything should start rolling from there.  If you run into an A$$hole dealer, go to a different one and try again.

My dealer was great, and I got a new tank no problem.  Think about it, Kaw doesn't want or need any bad publicity from an accident caused by a tank crack that leaks gas due to a manufacturing defect.

johnnymoto

~SPONSOR~
Nov 9, 2000
I have a 92 kdx and I'm on my 3rd gas tank now but I think this one, which is 8 years old will last. I bought the bike new in 92 ,then during the winter of 94 I walked in the shop and gas was everywhere. It had been idle for a couple of months and cracked on it's own. It cracked around the petcock mounting holes at the base of the tank. I called the kaw dealer where I knew the parts man but no one could offer any replacement info. They just shook their head and said " man, that's going to be expensive because there are no tanks made outside kawasaki." They did sell me a tank at dealer cost instead if the $325 list price. Well, it lasted 3 years and cracked in the same area. I called kaw customer service and end up talking to someone in California. He said it was probably oxygenated gas that some states have, that caused the crack. He did finally admitt( in a round aboutway) they did have a problem with this type tank. He said sometimes they will crack around the gas cap area, also. In the end, he did agree to send me a tank and it has lasted ever since. So call, call and call some more. Kaw may never admitt it but it is a known problem. Hope this helped! Moto

Darryl K

Oct 10, 2001
DONT buy a new or used tank! My '96 tank cracked on a bottom edge and my local dealer got it replaced for me for free. The '95 and up tanks often crack around the gas filler molding, but Kawi will replace any 1995+ KDX tank that cracks anywhere as long as it doesnt show obvious crash damage etc.. Kawisaki is aware of the cracking problems and seemed down right pleased to send me a new one!!!

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
For those of you who got replacement tanks did you have better luck dealing with Kawasaki directly over the phone or by going into a dealer? Reason I ask is I've called two local dealers and neither one of them seemed intersted in helping since I didn't buy the bike from them.

johnnymoto

~SPONSOR~
Nov 9, 2000
I had the best luck with the kaw customer service rep over the phone. The dealer didn't want to hassle with it at all but did give me the 1-800 number for customer service, just to get me off his back. The customer rep was helpful and calm about the whole deal.

junior224466

Jun 4, 2003
I have the same problem on my 99 KDX200. I couldn't find their 800 number but I did find a 949 number for Consumer Service. They didn't have a 'bulletin' for this specific item so they didn't want to do anything. They said the only option was to work with a local dealer.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
Kawasaki customer service told me the same thing. Said I needed to work through my local dealer who would call Kawasaki tech support, bla.. bla..bla. Too many hoops for me so I just bought a used tank from cycle salvage :-)

Top Bottom