Cracked Tank & Dealerships...

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well this is kind of a flame, but pertinent to kdx. I noticed my son's gas tank is developing some cracks at the base of the filler neck. I have read past posts here regarding these cracks. I read that the dealer needs the vin# and a phone call to get things moving. I decided to do one better, and I loaded his bike up and drove on down to the dealership. Once there I explained what was happening and asked if they would call Kawasaki for further info. Of course they have never heard of Kawi replacing a tank after warrenty, and claimed there is no recall. I asked that they take the vin and call. They stated to me (with a very disgusted look) "Kawasaki is not going to replace your tank for free". They would not even go out in the parking lot to look at the tank. So, very miffed, I head back home. I get on the phone to another dealership which is about 1 1/2 hours from my home and WOW. They take my vin and say they will get back to me. Within an hour I have a dealer order number and an appt. for them to verify the cracking and provide me with a new tank. What is with the dealerships unwillingness to help? At the same time I was at my local dealership I was also making preparations for 2 additional motorcycle purchases for my wife and daughter. I have placed that on hold and believe I will be making these purchases from the out of area dealership. I don't know if it is me getting older or just that it seems more and more that businesses want to tell you about what they will not do rather than what they can do. I know that if I did that with my own business I would be eating bread and have no scooters :ugg:
Thanks for hearing me gripe....
Lew

P.S. The two bikes I am looking at for the women of the family are the klx 125l 4 thumpers. Any comments there??

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
First off, there has been no recall. Kawa just replace as they find
them (or rather, customers contact them). You've put the purchase on
hold? I wouldn't have. I would have told them where to stick their
bikes and ne'er gone near the place again, especially when the other
dealer has been helpful.

Okay, now to the important stuff. Your wife & daughter. Height?
Weight? Experience? Have they tried the bike on for size? Can they
lift it if it falls? (hmm, should be when lol). Check out threads in
the "what bike" & "women's" forums (do a search on KLX125 or DRZ125).
I've ridden a DRZ and was surprised. It was on a short easy trail
(sand based), but it did good. I hated the ergonomics of it (just too
small), but for a short beginner it would be a good bike. I've been
riding about 3-1/2 years, am 5'3" (had the KDX for 2 years), so don't
like feeling cramped on my bike (I started on a YZ80 big wheel due to the height, I just couldn't go back now).

I hope that helps some, and do do a search & have a look around the
women's forum - there are plenty of what bike threads there to get
you thinking, but we do appreciate a ride report & bike report. (feel
free to email me if I can help any further)
Michelle

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
i have noticed that motorcycle dealers have some of the worst customer service around. I also have a good dealer near me but there are two other ones that are horrible. All of them around here are closed on Sunday-Monday too (same days I have off). When i purchased my bike There wasn't a dealer around that would stay open even a half hour late so I could go hand them some cash and take a bike. You would think one of these guys would realize the benefit of being the only dealer around open 7-days a week but instead it's like they all work together to provide no service. I can see business's like this in small town where they may be the only bike shop but I live in a major metro area that has dealers all over the place.

What gives???

Oh yea, my brother was buying a CBR929 last year and it came closing time so they sent him home and said he would have to come back another day. The deal was already made, all info entered in computer. All they had to do was print the stuff out and let him sign it.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Why only put your purchase on hold? CANCEL IT. But be sure to tell the dealer why. Don't make him guess. I've got a dealer less than 2 miles from my house, and his service is atrocious. I always travel the 15 miles to my dealer that knows how to keep his customers happy. Won't you please do the same? It's for all of us.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
MX175;
Don' t you worry I will be purchasing my wife and daughters bikes from the out of area dealer that is helping me with my tank.

Michelle - I know there is no recall. This was just the statement of my local dealer. As for my wife and daughter they are both 100% beginner. I think this will be a great bike for them to start with. I am sure both will want something bigger when they get comfortable with riding, but for now they will both be able to pick them up when they fall, and have a pretty controlable power delivery for a newbie.

Thanks
Lew

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
there has been a lot of kdx/klx tanks cracking.....kawi's bad,but all i know of have been replaced sooner/later.some arm twisting and passive force lol needed at times.a few had it work out as u did and have a new dealer now.i would buy the bikes at ur new dealer ,truck em to the old dealer and say i spend my money where they appreciate my business and help me out.Lew rip em a new one.

Spencer

Jul 30, 2002
Lew, I just got off the initial ride of my wifes new bike. The DRZ 125/L (Which as we all know is a yellow KLX and vice versa) and was pretty impressed. We spent alot of time looking for something that had enough power to be fun but not enough to get in trouble and that was fairly large but allowed her to get both feet flat on the ground. Keep in mind that she is a next to zero experience rider and I've always felt that being able to touch the ground is paramount in enjoying the experience for new riders. I've only put about an hour on it but I'll give you my impression so far. It's got decent power and torque as far as this style bike goes, I felt it loosen up considerably in the short time I rode it and had to adjust the idle several times as it loosened up. I'm 6 foot 220 pounds and was able to keep it moving fairly well. In the places where you dont have enough power, you have the lowest first gear I've ever witnessed. I mean low, like walk behind it and pull stumps low. It will probably allow a rider to grunt it up some fairly impressive hills. The suspension is really soft but pretty much any bike this size will be. My only regret thus far is the fact that I didn't wait for a KLX so it matched my KDX, but the wife wanted it NOW!!! I also got a kick out of reliving my old dirttrack days as it was a blast to lay sideways in the corners without fear of a huge burst of horsepower biting me. It's also nice to note that with the recent interst in the small bikes/big guys racing thing that lots of aftermarket hop ups are already available and more are sure to come. Hmmmmmmmm maybe we need two?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lew, if your wife/daughter is about 5-5'3", then yes, it'd be a good starting bike (not sure of the minimum size). Taller than that, I'd recommend something else, maybe an XR200 or KLX250 (electric start). I agree about both feet on the ground when learning (hence my desire for a MX80 - weight factor was great too). I'd also consider 1 bike to start with if they're about the same size. Then once they've decided they're into it, get the 2nd one, or even something a bit bigger (depends on how they go). They possibly won't ride much to start with and will be happy to share (heck, even if it's only a week apart before the 2nd bike). That way you'd only have to buy one set of safety gear (I'm taking it they're about the same size)?
Not trying to sound like a tight-ass, but if your wife is anything like I was, the $ side of things was important (hence my first bike cost $50).
I hope they both love riding & fight over the bike (if you only get one to start with). The more women who ride, the better.
Good luck & let us know how it goes.
Michelle

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by KdxChode
...All of them around here are closed on Sunday-Monday too (same days I have off)....

Lew’s dealer obviously stinks and it’s for the same reason that I use a Kawi dealer 50 miles away instead of the one close by, but I don’t think being closed on Sunday/Monday qualifies as bad customer service. They’re all closed Sunday because dealers and their employees like to go riding just like the rest of us. They close on Monday, because they were open on Saturday to accommodate a day that the majority of people have off and dealers need to do errands and mow the lawn too. Most dealers around here also have at least one day a week (usually Friday) that they stay open late.

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
I would have to disagree BRush.

Most retailers around where i live are open seven days a week. I work for one of them and know many people that work for others. Just because my work is open everyday doesn't mean i have to be there all the time too. I still have plenty of time to go riding and my lawn is always watered, green and mowed.

When i bought my bike I did find one dealer in washington that was open on mondays so I had to drive over there to get my bike. I also took my brother over there a couple of months ago to get his first dirtbike. The place is always slammed on mondays cause people have nowhere else to go. i would have preferred to buy from the dealer right down the street from me but the only way would have been to take time off from work.

I also can't think of any other business that would walk a $5500 or $10,000 deal cause of a half hour or hour of time. If I owned a shop and found out about something like this I would be firing some people on the spot. It's just not good business practice.

This country has turned into a customer service based place. Everyone I know would travel a little further and spend a few dollars more if they knew there was always going to be somebody there eager to take care of any problems that may arise. "It's just the way it is"

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Both my wife and daughter are about the same size and they fit real well on the 125L. I have an appt. tomorrow (monday) at the other dealership regarding my sons tank crack. They are a kawi/ suzuki dealer so since there the same bike I will see wich brand they will give the best deal on. I will report back on both issues. Thanks for all the replies.
Gooby - don't worry, after I get the new rides, and new tank I will go to my local dealership and rip em.
Lew

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I would have told them on my way out the door, By the way Forget about those two bikes I was going to buy from you I can see you are too busy for me and I am going to let your owner know about what happened and why I am going elsewhere. also tell the new shop why you are travelling to them and they may even try harder to please and make you free advertise their shop.. Have you looked at the Yamaha TTR series it seems that there is a lot of aftermarket stuff for those bikes.

JimVowell

Jul 19, 2001
Customer service is bad everywhere. Most people are lazy and cluless now days. Dont worry though, the economy is headed for disaster and they will wake up or go hungry. Kawasaki replaced three of mine after some arm bending. It just depended who you talked to. 2 where replaced during warranty and one shortly there after. Good luck and remember be hard on those you give YOUR hard earned money to, otherise they will never change (unless they get hungry)....

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Well, I have great news on all issues. Went down today and the service rep walked out and looked at my son's tank. Yep its cracked. He will give me a call when the new one arrives, compliments of Kawasaki..

Also brought home two 2003 KLX 125L. They treated me very fair for the pair, and threw in some other goodies to go with it too. On my way home I pulled into my local dealr and forgot they are closed on Monday. So, I will have to go back there later in the week to display what I got elsewhere!
The dealership that helped me out, and my entire visit there was very friendly is Roseville Cycle Center, I give them a thumbs up for fast, friendly, and no pressure service.

GREENBEAN - I did look at the ttr series, but I like the color green..
Lew

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Way to go Lew :) Congratulations to Roseville Cycle Centre for helping you out & doing what should've been done, may they keep up the service. You'll have to let us know how the women enjoy the bikes.
Michelle

MDA

May 27, 2002
Good Job Lew,

I wish my wife was interested in trying dirt bikes. I've looked at the KLX125L specifically for that purpose, but she just does not have any interest in it. She is extremely supportive of my love for riding, but wants no part of it herself. Too bad, I'd love to share the experience with her.

Have fun riding with the family dude...

-Mark-

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Sounds like you have a dealer there with some business sense. Congrats on the new bikes. I was just checking out one of those bikes at the local riding area yesterday. The woman was riding it around the play area breaking it in while her husband and kid were on the trail. She said she was really happy with the bike but upset with her husband cause he wouldn't let her hit the trails till some easy break-in was taken care of.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i have a quad for hunting.2wd not huge has all independent susp ,it's a 250 .i can't even get my wife to get on that for a fun sunday trail ride much less a bike ,she's a keeper but not outdoorsy at all.ur lucky lew ,glad it worked out for ya,u and urs ride safe. :)

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Thanks everyone for all the feedback. The look on my daughters face was worth a million $$. She was not aware that I was going to actually purchase these bikes when I had her and mom sit on them a few weeks ago. I played it off to my daughter as a maybe someday thing. My wife too had a very pleased look when she saw them. They have ridden a little on our property and I will be taking them out this weekend for some easy get used to the bike riding.
Thanks all
Lew

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom