cracks in stock KTM rims

little jeff

Aug 20, 2002
I have a 02' KTM 300EXC that has the stock rims on it (DID rims) was detailing bike earlier today and noticed a slight buldge going from the one side to the other, took a flashlight to it and you could definately see what looks like to me a crack starting to form from the inside and working its way out, is not cracked on outside yet. Are the DID rims made out of one piece of aluminum and rolled into shape then somehow welded or fused or are they formed in a circle to begin with? Spokes are not that tight, but I did tighten a little after I bought the bike to where the sound when you hit the spoke with the wrench is the same all the way around the rim. Any thoughts guy?
Little Jeff

ktmike55

Apr 25, 2002
Hi Jeff
My 300s all of them like to crack at the weld, had a little better luck with excell rims but they crack at the weld to. watch out for rocks at high speed! Good luck CYA Mike

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
All rims welded.

We have 3 '02's right now, no problems with rims (spokes-yes) All three A enduro riders riding mostly rocks.

madkormos

Nov 23, 2002
what problems with the spokes you having?I just bought my first ktm and now im starting to worry.
thanks madkormos

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
The front rim on my 02 EXC 520 did crack when almost new. One side only though. Had it tig welded without success, it cacked again. Then it was tig welded again and made stronger by adding a small plate. 6000 km later all is well. Not pretty though.......

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
'02's had bad heat treat on the spoke heads. They break. The OEM replacements hold up fine. Musta been a bad production run when they bought them. KTM denies the problem, says it is due to overtightening.

But none of our non '02 KTM's have had a problem to this degree.

Picked up my '03 yesterday. Sure is pretty.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…