Cracks me up, excerpt from 2010 2 smoker vs 4 poker article

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
This is classic IMO:

Taken from:
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Yamah...S-FOURSTROKE-MOTOCROSS-SHOOTOUT-YAM-7117.aspx

"Let's cut through the effluvia! Rules changes made the four-stroke what it is today. It didn't get there by virtue of its power per cubic centimeter, power per pound or power per dollar. Nope! Without the AMA four-stroke exemption rule of 1998, the modern four-stroke would still be defined by the Honda XR600. Forget about EPA rules (they don’t affect closed-course racing machines), fleet fuel averages (they don’t apply to offroad bikes), cost savings (four-strokes cost more to produce) or any of the other hokey reasons that the nattering nabobs of negativity credit the rise of the four-stroke on. None of those things are players. Engine for engine, cc for cc, ounce for ounce, the two-stroke motocross engine is a vastly superior piece of equipment. If the two-stroke was invented today, it would sweep the four-stroke motocross engine off the face of the earth (which is exactly what it did 43 years ago—when the displacement rules were equal). The only way a four-stroke can compete with a two-stroke is if the displacement is larger. The AMA four-stroke rule change was the impetus for the switch (followed by significant bike sales for the 1998 Yamaha YZ400--which led every other manufacturer to jump into building four-stroke motocross bikes).

No four-stroke displacement rule, no four-stroke motocross sales. No sales, no four-strokes."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
well, MXA got it a little wrong, as the rule was in effect well before 1998. KTM and Husaberg were trying it for a couple years, and Yamaha managed to get the OWH2 going in 1997 with Henry on board.

You're not quite perspicacious enough with all your atavistic yammering.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
as much as 2 stroke guy i am, that article is *** (choose your own bad word) and actually comes some 10 years late!!!
a 250f can compete with a 450f at pro level (european pro level not usa) on mx and sx. honestly i am waiting to see a 125 or 250 smoker compete with any of those even on lap times, let alone a race with 20+ bikes...
:|

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I think you're referring to rider vs rider helio.

Not trying to start another war (this is the 2 stroke forum right?) over the two different engine types.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
XRpredator said:
Ok, Pred, whatever you say!

:yikes: ;) :whoa: :uh: :debil:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
XRpredator said:

exactly what I was thinking :think:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Years and chest pounding aside, the rest is right on the money. Thumpers are for the street, and 2 strokes are for the dirt. Without that handi cap, not 1 bike sells. They have yet to break the mini ranks. Vintage Bob

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
_JOE_ said:
How much peak HP does a 250 smoker put out?
Says my 2001 RM 250 puts out 55hp on the spec sheet? Oh wait i see, 40hp to the tire makes sense. A little disappointing that a 125 makes like 35 wheel hp and a 250 only 40-45 max? :coocoo:

Last edited:
Top Bottom