Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Alright. YEs I have done a search on this for those of you who are wondering. Anyways question is. On a 2000 yz 125 do the cases have to be split in order to change the crank bearing??? Nobody really ever specified on a yz 125 that it HAD to be split every time.... just wondering

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
Well thanks for the smart ass answer. I guess I know what I have to do. Maybe the fact that I've never done that job before would answer your rhetorical question. You can't just assume that all others are as "blessed" with the skills you have. I hope this is not the way you talk to the newbies of our sport. Thanks for reading

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've done bearing replacements on crankshafts without removing the crank... but not on a 2-stroke dirt bike engine. You have to split the cases to do the main bearings. You have to (or rather a shop has to) break the crank apart to do the rod bearing, once the cases are split.

Bunya

Apr 26, 2007
Take it easy on Fox, he's one of the knowledgeable guys here and he helps an awful lot of people. You have to admit, the answer to your question should have be obvious if you did a little research on this site. I should also point out that we aren't 'blessed' with skills, they've been earned thru a lot of reading and good old fashioned hard work. Many of us didn't have the internet to ask for help or do research. Collectively, we have tremendous experience and diverse knowledge and can be a valuble resource for the people on this board that are learning. It does however get a little tiresome to see the same questions asked over and over again that could have been answered by doing a bit of searching. Usually folks are pretty tolerant of the redundancy, but now and then you're going to get some flak.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Yes Jeronmo it was. If you would have done ANY type of search,your answer would have been that obvious! Sorry,that is just the way it is,I did not do it! Gm's application that he is referring to is probably one of them big ass engines you walk around inside of. I do not know dik about brain surgery,but I do not jump on a doctors board and ask if I can do brain surgery with out cutting open the brain? You will need a box full of tools and a manual,are you up for it?

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
If you are new to mechanics then it is a pretty hard job, but not with a manual and the correct tools. Taking the other bits of the engine is the hardest most tedious task to do. You have to drain all of the fluids, remove the exhaust, remove flywheel, remove the barrel (and head together), crankcase cover, clutch, kickstarter mechanism, shift mechanism, crank gear etc... then, eventually, you can split the cases. Then you have to press out the old seals and bearings, press new ones in, re-assemble blah blah blah....

It takes a long time put it that way so spare a weekend to do it and order in all of the relevant parts needed to re-assemble e.g. seals, gaskets, bearings (if worn), new rings? etc....

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
well fox if you were to do brain surgery on the surface of the brain you wouldn't need to cut it open..... haha don't mind me, I was just a little grumpy last night

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom