chris_psmith

Mar 12, 2006
KDX220SR with a stripped output shaft and an ominous squeak that sounds like its coming from the flywheel side crank bearing.
I am about to split the case to change the shaft and crank bearings and was after any tips to help, specifically:
1. How hard is the case to split without special tool or should i make a tool to do it?
2. Pressing new crank bearings in - difficult or not?
3. Re-assy of two cases - best way to keep it all aligned and any way around the tool to keep the crank halves aligned?
4. Pressing the two cases back together - big c-clamps or what?
Any help gratefully received, ta!

Would have posted a photo of the beatiful stripped shaft but the site thinks the link is spam.

robmcd

Feb 7, 2006
I just split and rebuit my case - I have yeasr of experience with cars, but I am new to bikes. My workshop here is basic, but I used the press at my place of work
1) I split the case with out special tools, I was going to make the special tool, but I could not find a long enough bolt or threded rod to do it (metric is pretty rare in Albama)
2) My bearing was easy to re-move and install - but like I sadi we have a basic hand press at work which I used.
3) While it was stripped I cleaned it all up, hence some of the alignment was lost - it took a couple of attempts to get it aligned, the main problem was the gear changing tumbler - but it works good now.
4) I simply lined it up and pushed it back together, a little brut force and it went together. Jsut try and keep it all striaght - the same gap all the way around and it should be fine.

Good luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You started out talking about cases...your last post referred to cranks.

Words mean things..and by your words I have NO idea what you mean.

IF you plan on aligning your crank having NO experience, NO training, NO support...AND you are successful..

...I'd say you're pretty much a mechanical genious type.

Good luck!

chris_psmith

Mar 12, 2006
In re-assembling the cases you risk changing the alignment of the crank (if i believe the manual) hence the question on needing the special tool to assemble the case without changing the crank alignment, clear enough?

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
canyncarvr said:
You started out talking about cases...your last post referred to cranks.

Words mean things..and by your words I have NO idea what you mean.

IF you plan on aligning your crank having NO experience, NO training, NO support...AND you are successful..

...I'd say you're pretty much a mechanical genious type.

Good luck!

Dang! Easy killer.... :moon:

Top Bottom