QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Crankshaft rebuild damage????? help needed (Pics Added)

I have just dropped the crank into the right hand case on my CR250, I put the crank in the freezer then heated the bearing up on the right case with a heat gun, the crank passed easily through the bearing, infact It slotted in with a clunk as it dropped into place, what I am worried about is now I have the crank sitting in the right case when I turn the crank I can hear a grating sound like steel to steel rubbing... is this normal when the crank is sitting in only one case? I am unsure if I should go ahead and assemble the rest of the engine or if something is wrong, could have letting the crank drop the half inch into the bearing put it out of true? causing the crank halves to rub on the case somewhere? or will it all come right when the second half is added and holds everything more in line?

Last edited:

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
Your fine, your crank is too far over up against the case but there is no use trying to back it off the case at all because when you put the other crank case half on it will just push it up against the other side again. Get your other case half all on and bolted up then you will have to center it in the cases. When both are bolted up you will have to press the crank or hit it with a dead blow hammer one way or another so that when you look down at the crank in the cases you will have the same amount of space on each side of the crank between the cases.

If it sounds confusing then just bolt up the other the other half and look down at your crank in the cases and you will know what i'm talking about.

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Thanks alot for that, I will do what you suggested, just out of interest what stops it moving back off centre after I have centered it? like once the bike is back together again

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
It's pressed in there tightly so it wont move. If it moves then when you riding then you will probably need to replace a crank web because there is to much clearance between the bearing and the shaft that goes through it. If it didn't move before then you don't have anything to worry about. There is a gear on one side of the crank in the tranny and the flywheel on the other side, one of those wil give first and start rubbing before the crank will rub the case.

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
ok thanks, Its never moved or rubbed before, I sent the crank away to get rebuilt, and I see there are a couple of hammer marks where i presume they have been truing it... where they hit it has caused it to spread out slightly wider then the rest of the edge and I think its here which is touching, I will put the other case on and see if there is enough room to move it over so nothing is touching... cheers

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Well I assembled the other case and the crank locked up solid, the only thing I can put it down to is when they have trued the crank halves where they have hit it, it is bulging out slightly and not allowing clearance with the cases, pretty dissapointing considering the cost of getting the crank done.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
THIER SHOULD BE NO HAMMER MARKS ON YOUR CRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!a hammer has no place in the crank pressing,they use a press and all is to be alined very carfully with the aid of a dail indicator gauge.your crank half with the hammer marks on it is now junk. dont lot them grind on it or other short cut cures.i hope you have also replaced the main bearings and the main seals while you do the crank.get it done rite you dont want to go thru this again.good luck

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
Im pretty gutted about it, this crank now owes me $370 nz about $230 us ... the rod kit was $245 and then there was $126 labour.... Here is a couple of pics, what you guys think?

crankshaft0017nv.jpg

crankshaft0028ew.jpg

crankshaft0036xi.jpg

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
What I think you should do is go back to whoever pressed and trued your crank becaus they obvousliy didnt know what they were doing. Honda's have a tin shell around the crank and it is very thin so what they needed was a brass collar to go around the shaft of the crank web that they were suppose hit to true it and not hit the crank web. Whoever did it owes you a complete new crank assembly at no charge.

Cr_125

Feb 25, 2006
Seriouly you should have shopped around its way cheaper to buy the whole new crank asembly

I bought a full wesico hot rod crank assembley for my CR125 for 109.99$.You should get a refund and buy the weisco crank,i can give you the link to the site you order it off ,if your intrested.

QuentinCR250

May 15, 2005
ok fire me the link, I did shop around, here in New Zealand a new crank (wisco) costs about $450 the rod kit was $250 he originally said about $60 to do the labour, this grew to $120 so I spent $370 nz and I still have no crank :( by the way $450 nz is about $280us, i did think about getting one from the states but alot of places either wont post international or the freight charges make it prohibitive... :(

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Another option may be to go on the auction site eb-y and find a Hotrods crank. There are always a bunch of them there. The crank you have is garbage. It's a blessing it was never able to run. You should be able to find a complete new crank for under $150 US. Also, there is no need to heat the bearing. Try putting the crank in the freezer, heat the right side case with a propane torch until water sizzles off of the case where the bearing retainer is, and drop the room temperature bearing into the case. Then set the crank in the right side. Heat the left side case, drop in that bearing, and assemble the case halves together. You might here a pop as the cases are drawn together, but it's normal. After the cases are together, the crank should turn freely. I then lightly tap both sides of the crank with a rubber mallet to relieve any stress. It may pop again. I have done this numerous times in this manner without ever having a problem.

Cr_125

Feb 25, 2006
Email you the link,its 146$ for one for a 250.They deliveryed to me in Ireland so they probably delivery to New Zeland.

Here in Ireland they said the same crank in one of the main dealers was going to cost 400euro!!!

Top Bottom