whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Most places around here you need 5 years of union schooling, or 4 years non-union., and pass state tests for license. It covers every phase of plumbing. I have been getting to use the Viega plastic for potable and non-potable water. The efficient boiler set ups are still not many, a big investment homeowners get cheap on? Tankless water heaters still not really selling either. I prefer working for someone else also, way less stress. Plumbers specialize in different areas, I prefer fixing the old homes, making them flow better. I have been plumbing for 12 years, carpenter for 10, and machine shops for 10. My first race in 1974, my kids raced. Now if I can get them out of the house? I can race again!

war child

Jan 4, 2009
ha ha , yeah race again , so should sharky, i did a job for some one who was realy high up on the motox in england and he said he got back into it in his adult life and he showed the young riders a thing or two , but he said the only problem was that when you fall of the bike it hurts that much more than when your young and takes longer to heal , i think you just dont land the same, also its good if you get back into it bcos you clearly know the ins and out of the engines and when i took my brother to the local track it was full of young idiots that hadnt got a clue how a bike worked they didnt need to, bcos rich mumy and dady would just pay to get it fixed , where people like you can get a feel for how it runs bcos they keep doing the work needed to keep it going, old school know how and so give good advice to people like me that strugles to keep his little bro's bike running, ive also noticed that alot of the older mx riders seem to get powerfull 4 stroke bikes later on in life, i love how simple the 2 stroke screamers are, when they work !!!!

war child

Jan 4, 2009
also news just in the idiot that took my money for the magnito, after recieving a nasty email from me contacted me and said that it will definatly come on the 28 of this month hes on holiday in america getting mx bikes and parts and shipping them back to england, so when it comes i will post all our hard work, and the result ! and a big thanks to you guys you know who you are!!!!!!!!

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
HAHAHA !!!! War Child, as much as I would love to get back into racing, my old broken down body wouldn't take the abuse anymore. Although I do have to admit, I'm not really that old, I just feel that way from the numerous injuries i've acquired over the years. Would I do it again ? Heck Ya !!! Those were some of the best years of my life. I still ride now, I just can't race competitively anymore. Just for the record, I'll be 29 in February. It was my pleasure to be able to assist you, and as I've mentioned, anytime you need help with anyting at all, just contact me.

war child

Jan 4, 2009
still waiting on magnito, cant wait to try this yam 80, must add if i had to do this again on this bike or any, will definatly buy , flywheel puller, crank case splitter, crank case puller, if you have these ,you have what is needed to get job done in a day, that way you dont forget what cog goes where, that has been my only problem with this build , not all tools and waiting for parts, bcos when you get back to the rebuild you forgot why you have 100 bits and peices, please just deliver my magnito so i can see if its ok,

also when you try the gears by hand, does it usualy feel a bit clunky, compared to when its on the bike running, and using your feet, i have oiled the gears when putting them back together

war child

Jan 4, 2009
right the stator plate came today and it fits to the bike ok but the magnets in the round bit wont slide over, have i got the wrong stator plate, it looks diffrent but lines up to all my screw holes,so it fits the bike but is only just to big for the magnet cover thing, can any body tell me y, many many thanks if you can

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The stator plate guy sent you the wrong plate? Compare it to the old one? I remember some that I went with the location of the grommet, as to which went where. The larger coil is toward the front?

war child

Jan 4, 2009
yeah the guy sent me the wrong plate, it fits the screw holes, and lines up with the timing marks but is just a little bit to big for the outer magnito, the bit with the magnets in, he said it was for a 1996 yz 80 but its not and i dont know what year, so ive now orderd the outer magnito that came of the new stator plate, knowing that they will fit each outher, but not the right ones for the bike, im stuck as to what to do next, the new stator plate i got has bigger coils on it, better , bigger ,stronger looking ones, but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! theres a good chance there gona give, stronger voltage, have diffrant timing , there probably of a newer model, but they still have the same wires coming off it ,

war child

Jan 4, 2009
well i didnt work and me and my brother will probably never speak again, bcos i couldnt get it to make a spark, after 4 hours of trying, he went absolutely mad at me and the bike bcos its took so long for this part to come and its the wrong one?,

sod him ive worked hard on this rebuild,and i think that its a good job, like new bottom end,just no spark,

the part looks right , it lines up perfect and just looks a little bigger on the magnets, which in turn is needing a bigger fly wheel magnets, which i got and tryed but no spark, i just think its so close to being right but not there, i was gona take it too a bike shop untill my bro pushed the bike on me so i give up now, thanks for all your help on this rebuild guys, 99% done on rebuild but no back to life for the 1996 yz 80.
may it rest in peace, or pieces !

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sound like your brother needs an attitude adjustment more than the bike needs spark.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
do the new stator come with cdi or just flywheel and stator? if you try to connect other cdi it might not work...

war child

Jan 4, 2009
hi the stator came with the flywheel, well it did after i orderd the fly wheel also, and i hooked them up to the existing cdi,and wiring, the problem is that this bike might work with this one,it looks to close not too, but like i said it ,is a little bigger on the magnets,

if my timing was out would this produce no spark, ive moved the stator on the plate screws but still no spark,

and yes my bro does need a kick up the arse , but hes just not had it easy growing up so thats why im trying to look after him,and this bike, oh well, maybe if i go round and see him in a week or two ill try again, its more i want to get it working just to see if my hard work wasnt for nothing, and to see the heap of junk get rebuilt into the little fire breathing 80cc these yz's are supose to be,

the problem is that sites say that outher year bikes and models have the same parts on them , and when looking on yamahah site they use the same looking magnito from 1993 --- 2000 they have the same wires , but the magnets are difrant and the stator plate,

and it doesnt matter how hard i try i can not get my part number to match anything on the ,part list site but it clearly came off a yz80,

would taking the clutch basket of and turning the crank a bit help so that when the basket is fitted back in the crank is in a difrant position, but timing marks are still lined up on the stator and fly wheel,

what would tell you guys that know what your doing, visualy, if you where looking at my bike that its never gona work or to keep trying,

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Visual check? The coil needs a good ground, and snug. That the kill switch is not grounded out, disconnect it completely to check. You can use a multi circuit electrical tester to check the measurements, and see if the magneto and cdi are working. How and what to check is in your manual.

gregorious77

Feb 1, 2009
Where in the uk are you? I live near portsmouth.
I have an old 84 RM125 which I have done the top and bottom end on due to it being shagged when I purchased it.

gregorious77

Feb 1, 2009
dont know any here in uk? ebay is ok but you have to be lucky really.
I have a suzuki and use a company who do vintage suzuki parts. dont know a yammy one.

Top Bottom