Crank turns difficult after overhaul

michaeltaz

Nov 8, 2005
I need help or advice please. I put new bearings and seals on my crank of CR250RT 1996. Its spins easily,but the moment I torque the primery driver gear on the crank, its turns very difficult. I cannot see what the reason is. I tought that the collar might stick to seal, but when I loosen bolt on gear, crank is loose again?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is the crank centered between the cases? Use a feeler gauge and a dead blow, on each side, and get it centered. I have usually had good luck, when torqued the nuts, rotor and drive gear, draw the assembly centered? If not, help it with a dead blow hammer. Vintage Bob

michaeltaz

Nov 8, 2005
I loosened the primary drive gear again. The moment I tighten the bolt enough that the collar starts turning, the resistance is increased. But it is not that much. I tried to get a reading of the torque, on my dial torque gauge, but its too little to give a reading.
Vintage Bob, must I strike the casing around the bearing or the ends of crankshaft with a dead blow hammer?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Drive the crank ends as straight on as possible. Only kawasaki main bearings stick to the crank, and move around in the bore, imo. That crank should move back and forth relatively easy, and the main bearings should stay put. A loose case bore to bearing is bad, red loctite, and keep it out of the oil passage. Both your main bearings installed from the inside, or the right one is held in from the right? The drive gear and collar is not pushing the bearing into the bottom end I hope? Next idea is if the crank got pressed all the way together? Generally the big end pin is flush on the outside of both crank halves? The left main bearing is flush with the inside case? The right should appear the same. You are sure you have the correct collar, and the drive gear is not backwards? Lastly, you do have the correct main bearings? The size is usually printed on the bearing, except real hardcore Chinese junk. Not recommended!

Top Bottom