Crankcase Oil Drain Plug.....Slow Drip..02 300EXC

Unknown Ctrl

Jan 24, 2002
need help.

I have seen a lot of posts about KTM oil drain plugs being stripped, but has anyone run across the problem of them leaking? Say at a slow drip. My 02 300 EXC has 2 oil changes...about 250 miles on it and I noticed that it started dripping after an Enduro I ran this past weekend. I do not believe the threads are stripped and I checked to make sure the plug is tightened to spec?

Any suggestions? Do I just have to live with the slow leak?

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Unknown, make sure you re-installed the copper washer on the drain plug, as it is easy to overlook this. Other than that, make sure there is no sand in the threads on the crankcase, maybe use a cotton Q'tip.
Good Luck

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Unknown, make sure you re-installed the copper washer on the drain plug, as it is easy to overlook this. Other than that, make sure there is no sand in the threads on the crankcase, maybe use a cotton Q'tip. :D
Good Luck

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Unknown, make sure you re-installed the copper washer on the drain plug, as it is easy to overlook this. Other than that, make sure there is no sand in the threads on the crankcase, maybe use a cotton Q'tip. :D
Oh, and no do not live with a slow leak!
Good Luck

B

biglou

Goin' for the hat trick there, Speedway?! :D j/k Unknown-I had the same thing on mine, even tightened the drain bolt an extra bit. Come to find out that on my next oil change, when I was emptying my waste oil container into a larger waste oil container, that I had accidentally dropped the copper washer into the pan on the previous oil change. Had to lay the bike over on her right side and reinstall the washer onto the drain plug. :)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Better yet.... get a new drain plug gasket and be sure that it's fixed.

Had to LOL, BigLou.....<grin>

Had JUST finished changing the oil/filter/Mobil 1 for the WRX that was pulling the bike trailer down to Reno for the MoonRocks ride.... the next day.

When Susan walks up and goes, "what's this? is this the drain plug gasket?"

ARGGGHHHHH......

Not only did I have to drain the new oil to get the drain plug gasket back on.... had to go to store for more oil! dang!

So yes, I always make a "positive visual" now before re-installing. <ga> - rb

Top Bottom