Crappy pics from INDYSX

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I reluctantly took my camera to the race. I should have just left it at home.

Attachments

• _MG_1927 (Small).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 334
  • _MG_1929 (Small).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 337

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
oh now, stop harshing on your own gig, Indo! They look good to me.

of course, I'm tone deaf in both eyes, so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
No, you did the right thing by bringing it. How will you ever learn from your mistakes if you never offer yourself the opportunity? I don't know how many SX races you have shot, but I can tell you that mine didn't look that great the first few times out there either. If it's something that you love to do, put the time and effort into it and the results will come. My first suggestion is to crank up the ISO. The 20D handles high iso stuff really well.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN

That was ISO400.. I am going to be investing in some better glass soon, so we'll see.

It's sorta tough to look at my stuff after seeing what you and Dave did at Indy though.

I won't quit though. ;)

Bspeed

~SPONSOR~
Jan 14, 2007
"keeper ratio" if only...

truth is we all get some fuzzys, headless riders... :)

The vintage race I was at...I was so pumped by what I saw on the camera lcd, for some particualr shots....but the "real" picture...DANG ! my heart sunk..
I had lost focus of the rider, but got a real sharp image of the background..

cameras fault of course! :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I hate to admit my keeper rate! Off the top of my head, I'd say it's about 50 percent "decent shots" and about 1% that I REALLY like. Catching a good moment AND getting it technically right is NOT easy! In my case, without some luck, I'd get nothing. Then of course from the stands, you are really limited in comp, from the floor you can setup where you know the shots will be good, and then of course get there before all the other photogs do :)

Same thought as Squid (as if I'd disagree with anything he says, lol!), I use 400 outside on good light days, 1600 worked better than I thought indoors in crappy stadium lighting. They are a tad grainy, but so are the shots from the big guys. A little post process noise reduction does wonders.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
My first few times shooting at a SX were very disheartening so don't get discouraged. As a start until you are comfortable shooting full manual indoors I'd try cranking the ISO up to 800 or 1600, 800 likely would have been plenty at Indy and then shooting AV mode and play with the aperture at 2.8, 3.2, 3.5 and even 4.0 if you have enough light to keep the shutter speed up around 1/400 or above.

Also both of those look like you may have been panning with the rider, that adds to the difficulty as it's very easy to lose your focus spot, are you using center point only for AF?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN

Good tips as always!!

Yes, I have gotten pretty good with the panning, IMHO.

I think I need to get to another indoor event to try an hone some of the skills.

crash32

Oct 10, 2006
Hey Squid I have one of ya but I didn't think you would want me to post it!
I know you have some of my ugly ass! I'm surprise your gear still works! :laugh:

Like the others said don't be scared of bumping up the ISO.

:)

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
indy, you did fine! the truth is that even a shutter speed of 1/400 isn't THAT high, and what you shot at 1/180 and 1/350 certainly isn't. 400 seems a nice compromise that gets a lot of wheelspin but still gives you good chance of a sharp image. however, i think that until you get up around 800, there will always be some unsharpness. there's a lot of vibration in the subject that's happening at higher frequencies, and that's just physics. until you get over 1/1000, it's just tough.

either that, or i just suck, because i'm almost always unhappy with my sharpness at anything slower.

:whoa:

squid? crash? your thoughts?

wp.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…