Crashed hard twice today on my birthday, damn lucky

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Just thought i would share the couple of crashes i had today riding with my brother in law. He's new to dirtbikes and only rides track, so he came to my town where are tonnes of mountains and less city. He's a big city dweller so i thought i would show him what trails and woods riding is all about. So i take him down this trail where we cross a creek and get to these hill climbs. I've been in this area a few times before and i tell him to hit the hill in 3rd gear and keep it pinned up the hill. He's got a 05 rm250. So i go blasting up this hill in 3rd tapped out, launch off the lip and 10 ft ahead of me is a barb-wired fence. I knew i was screwed so i locked up the brakes and ended up crashing head first into the fence. I'm damn lucky i bought full gear before i started riding again because it saved my ass. My helmet visor broke, helmet got gouged really good, jersey was torn, 661 pro pressure suit was torn a little and gouged on the shoulder cups, gloves were torn, and all i felt was a scratch on my upper rear shoulder, and a sore wrist. I got up quick after the crash to warn him not to do what i did, but he knew something wasn't right when he saw me fly over the lip and then dissapear so all was good for him. So we untangle my bike out of the fence and continue on to these big steep hills. We are at the top and i could see these deep washouts from all the rain we've been having. They were like 6 inches wide. 6 inches deep and ran down the hill. I'd been up and down that hill 10 times with no problems so i thought i would ride down it and then blast up it. So i start down it nice and slow, front tire is grabbing good in the soft stuff, rear is locked and sliding. I'm avoiding the run off gouges and i crest the hill in the steeper portion with still another 250ft to go. I started picking up speed fast and i knew i couldn't grab any more front brake without it sliding and wouldn't you know it i get sucked into this massive trench where all of the smaller trenches drained too which used to be the main run for this hill. So i'm blasting down this hill at 50km's/hr or so stuck in this rut and i lost control and took a hard spill down the hill while my brother in law looked from above. I was lucky again, just a sore thumb on this one, and some damaged plastic on my cr. That was it for the crazy hill climbs for the day because everything was going south, and the rain continued and made everything slick as snot. Scared the crap out of me on both but i'm so lucky i'm not banged up. Maybe i should have just let off the brakes a little more down that hill when i was in the rut and flying and i wonder if i would have made it. I won't be doing that hill again until the pro hill climbers make some new trails on that hill. Sorry for the long post, just thought i would share my ride today on my 30th birthday.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, might have been showing off a little for the brother in law, but i wasn't doing stuff i hadn't done before. I think the poor conditions added to the technicality of the terrain which caused my crash down the big hill. The other crash over the lip of the hill into the fence was just stupidity on my part for not knowing what was on the other side before i ripped up it. I'm just glad i'm ok.

Top Bottom