Dec 29, 2008
I bought a yamaha tt50 for my nephew for xmas. The paperwork included the price of the bike a freight charge an assembly charge , tax , title. My question is are the freight and assembly charges normal? This is the first new bike I have bought.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
american idiot said:
I bought a yamaha tt50 for my nephew for xmas. The paperwork included the price of the bike a freight charge an assembly charge , tax , title. My question is are the freight and assembly charges normal? This is the first new bike I have bought.

Perfectly normal.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
american idiot said:
My question is are the freight and assembly charges normal?

Those are negotiable before the final sale,.... talking about it here after the sale, isnt going to save you any $$

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Most dealers use those charges as sort of a negotiating tool. If you squak alot they'll usually reduce or eliminate them.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just be glad it was on a small inexpensive bike :)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Some of the fees may have been negotiable,, depends on exactly how much they charged..

reality is,
there is little if any margin on those little bikes..
so not much negotiuating room

dealerships do pay frieght..
to the OEMS., (and no it isnt included in the invoice price the dealership pay for the bike riginally).
they also uncrate and partially assemble the bikes..
so pay a tech a given amount of time to do so.
on small bikes it actually often involves more time for assembly than an MX bike for example.

the little bikes generally come two to a crate,, and are mtre diassembled than than the larger bikes..

tax is of course normal..
title and other document fees often depend on particular state regulations

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Freight and prep are commonplace, and can exceed $300 for a single bike. I find that these charges are highest in metropolitan areas. I also know of a county in GA where every dealer charges a flat $100 freight ad prep. My biggest problem with these "fees" is that salesmen seldom inform you of their existence before the paperwork is ready to be signed (like you aren't supposed to notice).

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
High Lord Gomer said:
This is why I buy all of my bikes out of the back of Ivan's van.

Well, this and incredible service.
Last time I bought from Ivan's van, I found a broken throttle cable, I think he's seen me ride. Talk about service, the bike was perfectly tuned for idling around the track.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The downside to buying from Ivan is that the bike often has something sticky on the controls and seat and I've seen one that the rear fender was bent on.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
american idiot said:

The price of a motorcycle can vary wildly form dealer-to-dealer. If a bike is popular, these fees can be ridiculous - if they're trying to clear the floor for new models, they could removed altogether or the base price could be reduced.

Whatever the case - the price you negotiate at the dealer is the OTD (Out The Door) price. This is what you have to pony up, so it's the only price that counts.

Since AJ is a dealer, I'm sure his assertion that there is very little profit on little bikes is spot on.

:cool:

Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the answers guys. The salesman did not mention the charges until the paperwork was done. I bought a floor model 08 for $1049. The freight and set up were around $400 so I walked out of there $1600 and change after tax and tiltle. Oh well, it was xmas eve and I had no time to do homework. Tanner was really happy getting the bike. $1600 for that smile, it was worth every penny!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom