SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I have a 04 kx125...

Every single time that I pull the motor apart, and put it back together that carb will leak out the vent line...

The craziest thing is I NEVER mess with the carb when I pull the top end.

I usually drain the gas from the carb if it is gonna be sitting a while... this last time the bike was sitting for about 2 weeks, and I go to start it and the carb is overflowing like no other...

but another weird thing is, it doesn’t leak out of the overflow drain... it leaks from the one of the vents that come out of the side of the carb... this bike has always done this...

The first time it happened, I just set the floats to the specs in the service book... and I will still over flow like mad... so I did it again, and again... probably about 5 times... after that I took the book, and the carb to the mechanic at the Kawasaki dealer... he set it for me and it STILL overflowed... so after that I figured something was up, so I ordered a new needle and seat... put that in, same thing. so then I ordered a new float, but that in, same thing... so then I am getting really pissed right... so I just work with it, and just set the float by trial and error... well I eventually figured out the way this carb needs to be set, and every time it happens I just reset it to that setting...

but I just do not understand why this carb keeps on doing this... it does not have anything to do with the bike sitting, or not being run for along time, or draining the gas out the carb... the ONLY time this carb has done it is when I pull the cylinder...

I have tried lightly tapping on the carb with a soft hammer, trying to free up the float or what not, and that never works...

And after I set the float to what I learned to set it at it is fine, every once and a while I will forget to turn my gas off, and it sits all night and it has never leaked when it is set...

The way I learned to set it is to play with the float setting, then put on the bowl, just holding it up there then blow threw the fuel inlet, and if it just barely flows air is the only way it will not overflow.
And if you look at the book, it is completely different than the way they say to set it...

And it is weird that it drains out the vent... I have never had it come out of the overflow, and it is not that the overflow spout is plugged or anything...

I have come to the conclusion that something is messed up with this individual carb... because I have worked of bike with the exact same type of carb, and I set it according to the book, and they never have problems... only this...

Now ever time I rebuild the bike, and am constantly looking for gas to start leaking out... I don’t think there has been one time it hasent done it when I pull that top end... and id say ive had the top end off about 10-12 times, so its not like its just a fluke....

:blah: :blah:

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Now, the last time i tried to set it i went to far, and no fuel got in... so now I just took it off, set it and it is overflowing again... :pissed:

And it is not like a am making insanely huge changes with the float adjustment...

This carb is getting on my nerves...

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Any fuel in the float? Shake it & see. If not, replace the needle and seat. Sometimes you can clean them up.

Dekemonger

Feb 15, 2006
I feel your pain. I have/had a situation were the carb would overflow all the time. At least mine was through the bowl overflow.

I dipped the carb overnight after it ran bad from sitting with bad gas in it. I blew out all the orifices with compressed air, cleaned the seat really good with q-tip, checked the float level and reassembled. It leaked everytime after the cleaning. I thought the float valve needle may have been worn but it did not look worn. I made sure the float was not catching on anything inside the bowl (walls, jets, brass fittings, etc.). I also tested the float in a bowl of water using a paper clip as the pivot and they floated perfect.

After several removals and tinkering, I decided to attach the carb to the fuel line with the bowl off. I then turned on the petcock and waited for fuel to flow out the seat. I then lightly lifted the float (using no more or lesss pressure than the fuel would have) until the valve touched the seat. The gas stopped flowing completely. I reassembled and had no problems since. I do not know what actually changed to stop the leak but it is gone!

You might want to try what I did with the float to make sure it is floating properly. Then I would suggest you attach the carb without the bowl to the fuel line of the tank. Have the tank on the bike as it would normally be. Watch how the float actuates the valve into the seat when you lift it. If this works properly and fuel still comes out a vent tube (with no fuel leaking from the seat or elsewhere), you have internal issues with the carb body. If gas is coming from the seat, you have a seat or valve issue most likely.

Hope that helps.

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
well, it turns out i was wrong about it comeing out of the vent tube all the time... but it still does... if you tip the carb one way it will flow out the vent, and the other it will come out the drain...

but that is when the float is "corectly" set, weather it is actually right, but it is the only thing that works

I am going back up to try to get it set properly.... i hate working on things when its cold... and you got gas on your hands... that is nasty

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
AHHHHH...

4th time today that i had that carb off!

Still NO luck...
this very last time i put in a different float, and set it... this time it did leak, but it was alot slower than before... so i am getting closer...

this means this is the 7th time total that i had to pull the carb off the bike.... and probably the 15th time having the carb apart... IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS!!!!!!!!!

well I have to take a break from it for a while, because i am gonna start getting pissed, and throwing things soo....
Im gunna go eat, then i prob be back out working on it in 30 min...

Top Bottom