CRAZY Smoke! Spooge city! Crank seals??

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
My buddy has a 1997 KTM 360 MXC and he is having a MAJOR smoking problem/spooge problem. Here is the current state of the bike.

Yamalube 32:1 with fresh fuel
Stock good condition reeds
165 Main jet (170 is stock)
a "G" needle one step leaner ("F" is stock and one step richer)
42 pilot jet (45 is stock)
clip is in the top position
air screw is 2 turns out
NEW piston rings
NEW plug
Clean air filter with very little oil on it

What is was doing is pumping, and I mean PUMPING out spooge to the poing it started to pour on his driveway and smoking like crazy. We dumped all his fuel and put in 32:1 Yamalube with fresh Super unleaded and flushed out his pipe and silencer. We then started it up again and stopped it because it was smoking so bad we almost couldn't see each other. We stopped it but I am assuming it was also spooging like mad but we shut it off before it started pouring out.

What is the matter with this bike????? Could the crank seals be bad??

Last edited:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
That sounds like a definite crank seal!! I lost the crank seal in my 98 300 and it pumped enough smoke to fumigate Texas stadium. I would pull the clutch cover and check it out.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Smitty, is the transmission fluid coming past the seal? How difficult is it to change one of these seals? Is it directly behind the clutch basket? How would you remove/install the seal?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Excellent Thread.. Thanks!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
No problem, just coincidence that I just read it. Good Luck.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Two checks to determine if the clutch side crank seal is bad: (1) measure how much oil you put in the tranny and how much you drain out aftera ride, if there's significantly less you know the problem and (2) put castor oil in the tranny and run the bike, if the exhaust stinks like castor oil and burns our nose you found a bad seal. To replace the seal drain the oil, pull the engine cover, remove the entire clutch assembly and the main gear off the crank, then start working the seal out with some kind of puller or bent screwdriver. Be very careful not to get anything into the crank bearing, like chunks of the seal or the broken tip off your puller. The seal removal is a bit easier with the bike laying on it's side on the shop floor. It's not as bad as it sounds and is way easier than splitting the cases!

Top Bottom