XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I got a swinging deal on a 1998 YZ80 that a guy was all too happy to get rid of. I think everyone knows my lack of love for the two-strokes, but this has the suspenders I want for Pred2's TTR125.

Yesterday I decided to tear into the pair of machines and at least get the front suspenders on the TTR. It was almost magical how easily it went together.

Some items:
  • The steering spindle on the YZ80, while exactly the same diameter and length as the TTR, has threads in a slightly different spot, necessitating some washers to make it fit proper on the TTR.
  • The YZ top clamp puts the bars further back than they are on the TTR. This makes the key for the ignition on the E-start not quite fit the same.
  • The choke button has to be moved to one side to make room for the key
  • The top bearing on the TTR (balls in a plastic retainer) is not quite as rugged as the roller/race top bearing on the YZ, and the balls will fall out if you're not careful, but it works.
  • Not having the torque specs for the YZ clamps is bad, as the top clamp bolt can't withstand 18 ft-lbs without snapping :bang: There will be some sort of replacing going on there.
  • TTR front fender doesn't match up to the holes on the bottom YZ clamp, and the YZ donor fender is boogered up good. Replacement necessary.
  • The forks are obviously longer, and rake out the front end a bit. Didn't notice a lot of gain in ground clearance. There will be some playing around with raising the forks in the clamps.

I'll post pictures later.

Next part of the project . . . Making the YZ swingarm/brake/rear wheel combination fit the TTR. If ANYBODY has any clues as to how this can be done, let me know!

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
IndyYZ85 said:
I wonder how difficult it would have been to try putting the TTR motor in the YZ??
too many other variables, and since the forks basically bolt right up it's all good. So far there hasn't been any welding at all.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Pred I'd seriously look at fitting a roller bearing setup to the TTR stem.

The YZ fender will very likely hit the frame or head pipe on the TTR. Nothing a little trimming and heat gun work can't easily resolve.

The rear suspension is a bit more involved. Take things apart and measure/test fit then scratch your head a bit. Then repeat the whole process a few more times because it's a lot better than this process :bang: :bang:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
Pred I'd seriously look at fitting a roller bearing setup to the TTR stem.
I've thought long and hard about that, but for now the top one will be hunky dory (Pred2 is not the most abusive of riders).
Patman said:
The YZ fender will very likely hit the frame or head pipe on the TTR. Nothing a little trimming and heat gun work can't easily resolve.
I thought it would, but amazingly it clears perfectly, and gives me a bit more coverage from mud and goo on the engine. Of course, it might hamper cooling *shrug*
Patman said:
The rear suspension is a bit more involved. Take things apart and measure/test fit then scratch your head a bit. Then repeat the whole process a few more times because it's a lot better than this process :bang: :bang:
You ain't kiddin', my friend. Not only do I have the swingarm issue, I gotta figure out where to put the rear brake master cylinder and how I'm gonna work the plunger with the stock TTR pedal (I think I got a plan for that, though ;))

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If heat get's to be an issue Dremmel makes this really cool fender customization & perforation tool.....

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
XRpredator said:
too many other variables, and since the forks basically bolt right up it's all good. So far there hasn't been any welding at all.
I have to wonder if the forks fitting in the TTR were to trick you into trying this approach. Besides, isn't a weak frame one of the problems of the TTR125, or had you already invested in BBR's engine cradle?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the frame cradle is on the short list of items to purchase. I see BBR has a forged version nowadays . . .

But like I said, stress will be minimal by Pred2. I hornswaggled my Delicate Flower into thinking this was all to make the bike better for the boy, and it'll hopefully grow with him for one more year, but mostly it's to make it a sweet playbike for me ;)

By the way, there will be some miscellaneous parts for sale soon, from stock TTR forks to a complete YZ80 engine . . . in the for sale forum, of course. :nod:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I promised pics, so here they is. The Donor, and the Recipient

Attachments

• frankenbike 001.jpg
    frankenbike 001.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 410
  • frankenbike 002.jpg
    frankenbike 002.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 413

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
now, the donor on top, recipient on bottom

Attachments

• frankenbike 007.jpg
    frankenbike 007.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 385
  • frankenbike 006.jpg
    frankenbike 006.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 387

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Pred2 wasn't excited when I showed him his new motorized unicycle . . .

Attachments

• frankenbike 009.jpg
    frankenbike 009.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 398

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
here's the YZ forks installed. Note the two big ol' washers needed to shim things up proper-like

Attachments

• frankenbike 010.jpg
    frankenbike 010.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 399

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
notice the easy 1/2 inch gain in ground clearance, and a pic of Pred2 holding it up, just for giggles.

Attachments

• frankenbike 004.jpg
    frankenbike 004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 374
  • frankenbike 013.jpg
    frankenbike 013.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 377
  • frankenbike 012.jpg
    frankenbike 012.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 384

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Today began the teardown of the rear end on the YZ. No real issues taking things apart. The swingarm does mount differently than on the TTR, so I am a bit worried what I'm going to do. Also, the linkage is a bit different, and I'll have to do some fabricating on the brake pedal and the master cylinder mount. More on that later.

Here's the semi-stripped down donor and the rear suspension assembly. Anyone need a YZ80 engine?

Attachments

• frankenbike 016.jpg
    frankenbike 016.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 380
  • frankenbike 017.jpg
    frankenbike 017.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 374

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
pictures soon. There's a few holes to be drilled and some welds to make.

Hopefully it will be done by this weekend, depending on the weather

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Pred - I'll box up that frame cradle I have for you and get it sent in the next day or so.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okay, got the swingarm mounted, everything bolted up 'cept the top shock mount. Time to do some cutting and welding so the shock will fit, and then the disc brake master cylinder mount, reservoir mount, and brake pedal mod.

The y-shaped linkage had to be flipped over, and a small dogbone from the TTR needed re-used at the front. Allegedly it has to be welded to the frame, but I'm going to see how things work first.

I'm also a bit worried about airbox fitment after I get the shock mounted, as well as the battery box.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Top Bottom