_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yes.

If you don't already have one, get an hour meter so you can set intervals for service.

What year and how many hours on the bike?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'll take a guess you do not have a Factory Honda Service Manual for this bike. If you do have you looked at the maintenance schedule? :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
As much as you can. What kind of maintenance has the owner done? Is there a factory manual?

J-man

May 16, 2007
Well for starters its a 4 stroke and when you buy them it seems like there is always something wrong with them. Like Patrman said ask about the maintenance that has been done, Also ask if there is a factory servivce manuel so you will know what you are doing when you work on it.

J-man

May 16, 2007
20 Hours? On a high performance bike like that the oil should be changed every 3-4 times you ride it. Take the top end apart and check everything out, Probably need a new one.

pilsner rider

Jun 26, 2009
ok cool thanks and i was just taking a shot in the dark about the hours beteen oil change and that would have been like the most it ever seen most of the times would have been less for sure and not really hard riding just crusing back roads and ****

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
20 hours is about the lifespan of the piston rings. Worn oil rings could cause the oil consumption as well as valve seals.

When it comes to a modern high performance thumper you NEED an hour meter.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
_JOE_ said:
20 hours is about the lifespan of the piston rings. Worn oil rings could cause the oil consumption as well as valve seals.

When it comes to a modern high performance thumper you NEED an hour meter.

hour meters should come stock on the bike.

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
I dont know if this will help but my older four stroke burns oild bad! I know it needs to be rebuilt but since I'm hurting for cash and still ride i put a little 80 weight in my bike, it works for me because I know for a fact that my vavle guides and seals are bad.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
A thing to remember is that engine oil and gear oil have different viscosity rating scales. Example: 20 weight motor oil has about the same viscosity as 80 weight gear oil. Check link below ...

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/spring98.pdf

As far as the other differences between the two, that's just another 50 page oil thread ... I've got better things to do.. like lunch ....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom