CRF 450 all that they say it is?

crutch

Dec 8, 2001
cr500af or crf450

cr500af is about 10 pounds heaver then a stock cr250. i have had a cr500af seence we started making them and ther is nothing out ther that even comes close to the way the bike performes.i did by a crf450 this year and i think it will make me a better rider because you can coner a lot faster. if you have one of the 2002 af500s keep it for a year because they do hold ther value.so what ever way you go you should be happy.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Some numbers.

CR500: 55hp
KTM 520: 52hp (I've seen it dyno as much as 54.8)
CRF450R: 48 or 49hp (thats from the new DIRT RIDER, so take it for whatever thats worth).

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
I would put my 550 4-stroke against a 500 2-stroke anyday..... especially out in the desert.:cool:

CR500AF - I say keep the AF. But your the one who has to decide.

I think my signature says it all.......................

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
The AF's are made from 02 CR250 chassis and it
is 7 pounds heavier than a CR250 when complete.
It certainly makes a lot more peak HP than a 450 and 2 stroke delivery is "quicker" than a 4 stroke .
So the AF is lighter and faster in a drag race.

It would all come down to personal taste and what you liked riding the most.
The AF is a great bike, so is the 450
and a zillion other models out there..
the bike for you is the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

To those asking what mags thew AF has been tested in..
Dirt rider , MXracer, Transworld MX ,Cycle News,
and in europe MOTOX mag .
Basically tested every year in thoise magz since 1998.
Ask the mags what month for what year for back issues??

and you will see the 02 CR500AF tested in march's Dirt Rider and april's Trans world MX

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
Well here is my opinion for what its worth. I have a 00 CR-500 with the only mod being an FMF silencer, riding buddy has a 00 YZ-426, other buddy has the 450F. We ride mostly desert and dunes and I have ridden both the other bikes and the 500 suits me the best both for my riding style and the feel of the bike. We all have also raced up sand mountain here in Utah and on the flats, I can easily beat both in the hillclimb but on the flats its close. All three bikes are great bikes and I like certain things about each bike. Having never ridden the AF I would think that the AF would give you the best of both worlds.

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
Lets not forget, The CRF450 runs in the 250 class and is not at all as an open class bike. I would not even compare it to a 500. The fact that it is getting compared is testament to how great it really is. I bought an '02 CR250 when it first came out. I rode a buddys CRF450 on the weekend after it came out. I had a 450 the following weekend and my CR250 was sold by the following weekend. As far as comparing a stock CR250 to a stock CRF450, the 450 is way easier to ride well and inspires more confidence. It also has less vibration and I can ride it harder, longer with less fatigue. It is heavier than the 250 but that does not take away the fun factor. If you are drag racing or into open class, I am sure the 500 is the choice. If you want to rule the 250 class, the CRF450 is a good way to go.:D

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
I lost a little, but the 450 was worth it. I actually loved the CR250 as well, but as my CRF was staying in the living room until I sold my CR.... Well, lets just say my wife wanted other presents to fit under the Christmas Tree.

CRF ROCKS

Nov 7, 2001
AF500

The AF 500 is in the same class as a 250 if racing in the vet class.I was perfectly happy with my CRF 450 until I read these posts and found out about the RED MONSTER.Wanting every advantage I can get as an aging moto xer I sent for info and may purchase this machine. :p

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
stock cr500s,cr500af,kx500s,610 huskies,xr600s,490 maicos,440 ktms,390 huskies,rm400s,rm370s and even a tm400 suzuki.open bikes are all about the same thing.the cr500af (wardys bike)that i borrowed for the grass race at red bud was the most fun id had in a long time.i told service forget the cr450 i want a af.its in the garage right now.p.s. thanks eric for all the glue,95 all over again.if ajs legs will get healed.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
off topic....

Killing any birds Bill?

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
yeah ive got some pheasants,deer season was a total flop,although the kid took 2 with his bow,someone apparently shot my springer,now hes gunshy and wont go in the field anymore.besides this weather,most things went wrong this year,now im looking for another springer,female puppy.

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
My 01 520 sx stock motor but with a 50 tooth rear sprocket
out hole shotted a 92 gsxr750 and the hit a top speed of 82 mph on a fresh road with knobs.
The 520 was three bike lenghts ahead for the first 60 ft.
I had a hard time keeping the front end down.
The 750 overtook me but thats pretty good results for a mx bike.
This summer I plan for the heck of it putting on some street tires lowering the bike and fabricating a wheelie bar.
I also will gear it up.
I bet this bike will do even better with the ability to launch it hard.
The rider of the zuk used to drag race so he was impressed.

srgnz

Jan 8, 2002
In response to your "reliable like the XRs?" question... I read that Honda recommend replacing the piston in the CRF at 15hours :scream:

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I'm entering this thread late, but as most others have responded, this decision is all a matter of personal preference. But since you asked for advice and opinions, I will offer mine, for whatever it's worth. I rode a CRF450 a few weeks ago and to be completely honest, I wasn't overly impressed. I liked the ergonomics of the bike and the feel of it, but in my opinion, it felt slow compared to a YZ426 or an open class two-stroke. I don't even think it felt as fast as a 250cc two-stroke motocrosser. The power delivery is very mellow and smooth, which certainly might be a good thing in terms of rideability. I'm sure the bike is faster than it felt to me. Smooth power delivery is usually a deceptive thing. The bike probably isn't much slower than a 426 or a two-stroke, but it certainly "felt" like it to me from a seat-of-the-pants comparison. My opinion is that at this time, the bike is over-hyped. I think it's a very nice motorcycle and I wouldn't mind owning one myself, but I don't feel like it's the most impressive machine on the market today. I believe the 426 is still the four-stroke motocross king at this point, and my suggestion would be to keep the AF. The AF will no doubt be faster and probably lighter, and I agree with some of the other posts that the resale will be better. Besides that, the AF is unique and different. With all the hype of the CRF this year, a whole lot of dirt riders in this country are clamouring to own that bike and they'll be popping up everywhere. If you like the rush of power and all of that arm-tugging pull of the 500 two-stroke, I think you'll be disappointed with the CRF. Either way, you can't lose. That's just my opinion, good luck with the decision.

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Originally posted by Greg M
Has anyone ever seen a KTM 520 and a CR or KX 500 in a good drag race?

I would be interested to see how much faster one is than the other

I have a 520 EXC stripped down to all SX components (except with a starter motor :) ) Pro Circuit Pipe and re-jet. I ride every weekend with my brother who has a '97 CR 500 (pro cirtcuit pipe / silencer and re-jet) and my last bikes before the 520 were a 380 mxc and a KX 500 before that.

My impression is that the 520 sticks with the CR everywhere in the power stakes, except the lightning quick reposnse the 2 strokes have. It makes the CR 500 feel quicker, but it's barely marginal. I find the 520 so much quicker and easier to ride fast because you're not continuously trying to hold the back end in line out of corners.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
And then there is reliability factors involved.

For instance, the 2 new crf 450 owners that I know have both had problems. One - the rear wheel almost fell apart after 3 hours of riding. Way out of true to say the least. Luckily he was able to have it trued before it went too far.

Also, the next owner was startint to adjust his chain when the left chain adjuster block broke. ( thin sections that hold the axle in place!) Well, when that happens, there is no way to get the axle nut off - no way to hold it. I did not get a good look at the situation, but they knew what they were doing and they had to cut the axle - and they tried an air impact wrench too. It looks like some aftermarket chain adjuster block are needed here, and I have heard the 250's are the same way.

I am just kind of concerned about some of those fragile parts they created when they shaved the weight down to 7-9 pounds of a 250F. I did ride one tho, and the power is very quick revvin and electric and the bike handled very well. Good suspension and power. As long as no majopr bugs show up in the first year, I would take one over a 426. An aluminum framed cr500? Probably not, but I have not ridden one of those pup's yet, so hard to say for sure.

huntmaster

Dec 23, 2001
Japanese Horsepower

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by CR500AF
Im pretty sure that a stock CR 500 puts out close to 60 hp and the CRF claims 55 but the 500 has tons more torque and hits way harder.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm thinking that the CRF butting out 55 hp is the stuff of dreams.

"Ad copy" horsespower is always higher, and generally uses figures measured at the crankshaft vs thr rear wheel. In either case the, the difference here is still 5 horse @ 55hp and 50hp respectively for the two bikes. Honda says (60 and 55) Still, traction is the great equalizer, and having experience on open two strokes and 4-strokes, a smooth delivering 50 hp thumper often can and will hook up better then a hard hitting 55 hp 2 stroke ,and ulitimately can be the faster bike.

Doug

Antman

Dec 17, 2001
For instance, the 2 new crf 450 owners that I know have both had problems. One - the rear wheel almost fell apart after 3 hours of riding. Way out of true to say the least. Luckily he was able to have it trued before it went too far.

This first problem is operator error. One should always check spokes before you ride and after when you are cleaning the bike. I found that aluminum nipples do get looser faster, but one just have to be aware. I did have the spokes get loose after the first few rides and this is normal. As for The second problem I have never heard about until now. This is not a typical problem if you read all the posts at Thumpertalk.com regarding the 450. I have had one minor problem with the 450 (linkage nut stripping), but nothing I could not sort out. Sorting out little problems and dialing the bike in is fun for me. My RM125 was much more of a maintenance problem (seized crank, broken power valve). Time will tell if the weight savings is a reliability penalty for the 450. Still, I find the quality and fit and finish first rate on my 450. I know there are always exceptions. My .02

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I made the switch from a '01 YZ250F to a '02 YZ250 2-stroke. I ended up switching back. I learned my lesson about buying a bike without really riding one on a race track. This is especially true when you are going from 2-stroke to 4-stroke or visa versa. My advice is to find someone with your desired bike and test ride it in the environment that you intent to use it in.

Top Bottom