MotoGreg

Sep 23, 2001
Only the truly desperate or foolish would attempt something like this.
Yes, it sounds a little strange (and I myself would go ahead and buy the correct size shim) but that's the method used by most long time Ducati desmo mechanics. It's good to know that GSXR shims will work, thanks for the info!

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Motometal, if ya want power, you wanted an 86'CR500. I read somewhere David Bailey raced a stock motor with a Procircuit pipe. I could be wrong.

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
So Rich, what the problem with lapping the shims if ya know what your doing?
This is the exact method I used to fit the keyway that went bad in the counter balancer drive gear on my 00' 426. Since Yamaha's keyway is made of lead, and is at least 4mm too short, making one made more sense than waiting the 6 weeks for the inferior, backordered piece. Your thoughts?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Shawn Mc
This is the exact method I used to fit the keyway that went bad in the counter balancer drive gear on my 00' 426.

You are comparing apples to aardvarks. Valve shims are precision pieces that are designed to transfer huge loads thousands of times a second. Think hard about what will happen to the valve bucket and the tip of the valve stem if the shim isn't perfectly flat and square. A skilled machinist could probably hold these tolerances (but is likely smart enough to not bother) but a guy in his garage with sandpaper and a chunk of glass doesn't stand much of a chance.
The key on the counter balance gear will work just fine with a "it's close enough" fit.

huffa

Oct 24, 2001
I have the 02 and only heard of a few negatives on Thumper Talk.
Some are having problems with valve seats wearing out while others are not. This just came up a couple weeks ago. I'm going to start adding a lead substitute in mine to cushion the valves so they last longer. I would think it would extend the adjustment intervals also.
Steering doesn't bother me with the forks moved up 5mm. I think with it carefully set up you don't need the triple clamps. Even your 03 won't steer real good problably until you have the sag set up and get rid of the skatie dunlop on the front.
Chain must be adjusted right around the 1" freeplay or it flops too much and wears thew buffer out and chews the edge of the mud flap slightly. Keep in mind this is the 02 and 03 adjustment might vary from it. Manual says 1 and 3/8 but 1" works out better.
Some get a chain right away but I didn' find stock one all that bad. You have to adjust it more but SO WHAT, at least your getting your $$'s worth out of it. Bars of course are the standard junk.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by huffa
I'm going to start adding a lead substitute in mine to cushion the valves so they last longer.

Lead substitutes are usually nothing more than Kerosene and some junk open chain hydrocarbons so you might want to check the CAS number on the container or the MSDS before you use them. None of them contain lead.

wy4tt

Oct 21, 2000
I'm 6'3...and coming off a 520sx, so the honda feels a little cramped in the showroom. haven't ridden one yet though. specs show the seat height is 10mm higher for '03, has anyone noticed a difference in feel? i'm just wondering how the bike will feel on the track. don't want to be peddling around like i'm riding a tricycle with my knees up by my ears...

Reddog

Aug 17, 2002
Just to let you know every bike has its little quirks. I have owned about every bike. Honda is about the best you can always depend on but i have also had many yamahas like that too. Just ride the few your thinking about and go from there. Buy the bike you like best don't worry about little details. Hold it to the STOP and don't look back.

therapture

Apr 23, 2002
Originally posted by wy4tt
I'm 6'3...and coming off a 520sx, so the honda feels a little cramped in the showroom. haven't ridden one yet though. specs show the seat height is 10mm higher for '03, has anyone noticed a difference in feel? i'm just wondering how the bike will feel on the track. don't want to be peddling around like i'm riding a tricycle with my knees up by my ears...

The biggest thing is to get some TALL BARS. I use the "Jimmy button" bend Renthals rotated a bit forward to flatten out the cockpit and this alone made it work. I am also 6'3" and I feel right at home on my 2003 CRF. I may try some different pegs but I really do not feel the need for it at all.

Reddog

Aug 17, 2002
Hey,wy4tt I am 6'4" and use Tag CR double Hi bars and they are very comfortable and you can pretty much roll them forward or backward as much as you want. :aj:

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
I'm 6'2" and just installed tall/hard seat foam from Guts Racing on my '03 CRF. I like it much better than stock. I will be installing some higher bars soon. For now I'm just using a set of KX bend Renthals I had sitting around.

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
So far the biggest negative Ive seen about the 03 CRF, is everybody I ride with has one, and I dont. This is drivin me freakin nuts. Im always the guy in my group with a new or newest bike. Now Im old news on my 00 426. Hate'n it, really hate'n it here. The worst part is, the stock 03 CRF is better than my Enzo suspended, Thunder Alley piped Yamathumper, and its a really good bike.

Top Bottom