CRF 450 or YZF 450, I can't make up my mind

Reda

Feb 1, 2008
I am thinking about buying a 4 stroke bike, but unfortunately not even sure if I want to go with a 250 or a 450. I heard that the 250's need a lot of maintenance with valves, that is why I am more thinking about 450, but still cannot make up my mind btwn YZF or CRF, any help would be greatly appreciated

Reda

Feb 1, 2008
how about the adjustment of valves on the 250, is that true, or even 450's need valves adjustment often?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I just picked up a RMZ450 from a guy that let it sit in his toy hauler for a year and a half. It was moth balled in perfect condition except for the sludge in the fuel tank and carb. :nener:

That being said I checked the valves and they're right smack in the middle of the recommended setting. Other friends have had both the CR's and YZ's. They're average riders that ride at least three weekends a month and there bikes stay in adjustment. I don't have enough time on mine yet to give you a factual answer.

Perhaps the higher RPM of the 250F would require more frequent adjustments. Don't let that stop you from getting one. It's very easy and you won't need to do it very often.

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
What type of rider are you? Do you hit the rev limiter alot? In one of the magazines they had an issue with the YZ450f motor, they said it does not have much top end pull due to the muffler. Also the RMZ broke the cases after a few hours.

If you go with a 450, I vote Honda. 250, probably Kawasaki.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
RICKYD, Don't spread poop Dude!

The 08RMZ was a pre-production test bike and the fuel and ignition mapping was all wrong causing the starter to kick back, testing showed that led to the broken case.

The same article also said that all bikes were delayed in shipment and reprogrammed. It further said that with all levels of test riders including Pro level riders that the production bike hasn't had any problems.

That being said, I would go with the CR for reliability too.

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
BigRedAF said:
RICKYD, Don't spread poop Dude!

The 08RMZ was a pre-production test bike and the fuek and ignition mapping was all wrong causing the starter to kick back, testing showed that led to the broken case.
And they have it figured out now? Shouldnt the 09's just about be ready for testing?

Reda

Feb 1, 2008
I used to race back in Morocco 10 years ago, I raced on a YZ 125 , so I am not used to 4 strokes. I am not sure if 450 might be too much power for me and should go with 250. But again, i don't want to buy the 250 and feel like it is not enough power and then want to buy the 450. I heard Honda's have more problems with valves than Yamahas, but again you hear like 50,000 different things from different people. I am so confused :whoa:

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
RICKYD, I'm not busting your boyz and even though I stole a RMZ recently I still like Hondas.

REDA, this is an opion forum with some facts thrown in from time to time. I'm guessing that you will be happy with any 250F and not have any valve train issues. The 250F is leap years ahead of 125's in torque and horse power. There hasn't been a 125 in a single pro SX main event in the last two years.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Doug Dubach

His company sells pipes and other goodies. He used to be a factory rider for Yamaha. They have a slip-on muffler out to cure the ill effects of the new YZ chamber muffler.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Dr D is Doug Dubach, former Factory Yamaha rider ( won 1 250 SX in San Jose California) he has done a lot of testing on YZ450f's.

I've been passed by plenty of 250f's, they should have enough power for you.

I have about 70 hours on my 06 CRF450R with only 1 adjustment, it was reccomended to me to check them at about every 30 hours being I short shift the bike (do not bounce it off the rev limiter)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Well the fact is Suzuki R & D did not do their homework, seems like they spent more time with the FI.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
That's true, I'm sure some Jap guy has already cut his guts out.

I'm pretty sure the only changes for 09 from Suzuki will be finding ways to shave off some of the extra weight. I would expect to see them go with some Ti parts like Yamaha and BNG.

The other guys are most likely riding the RMZ's and doing a better job on their FI development.

Reda

Feb 1, 2008
Like BigRedAF said it is mostly on the rider. When i used to race on 125, 80cc used to pass me on some races, sad but they were nuts. But i guess valves adjustment is not that much of a big deal, thx for the feedback guys.

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
Both Honda and Yamaha's 450Fs and 250Fs use similiar engine setups with the exception of displacement and compression. As far as valve issues go I wouldn't expext to see more adjustment needed between the 450's and 250s, however having less power and the capibility to rev higher on the 250F's makes riders more reluctant to scream on the 250s in turn putting the valves out of spec. My $.02

Top Bottom