Crf 450 running bad in neutral on the stand

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
I wish this post would change its name. For more than 3 months when I come to the Honda Thumper forum , the 1st thing I see is "CRF Running Like Crap". Is it fixed yet?

elwoodandi

Jan 26, 2004
Sorry for the delay. Just picked the bike up from the dealer on Saturday. They say that the bike checked out perfectly and that it ran great for them. I haven't had a chance to ride it for myself yet to confirm. They changed oil and transmission fluid, checked plug/tuning and it was fine. The only thing abnormal was that the air filter was over-lubed so, they cleaned and relubed it. They said that they checked with Honda and that the header getting that hot is normal. Their feedback was that if I continued to see problems that they'd take another look at it so, my fingers are crossed that it was a combination of cold weather and getting used to the bike.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
the load of riding your bike richens up a four stroke !!!! WOW I wonder if you should jet it in gear or in neutral?!?!?!?!JHEEHHE
THATs friegen cute buddy this whole time youve been steerin me away from a crf
how does it ride? do you ride mxxx or trail? dont say great through the diches in the neighborhood delivering papers or riding to the deer stand please!!!
Im curious of what you dont like other than neutral!!! llike will it scream in 5th?

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
RAHRAH said:
the load of riding your bike richens up a four stroke !!!! WOW I wonder if you should jet it in gear or in neutral?!?!?!?!JHEEHHE
THATs friegen cute buddy this whole time youve been steerin me away from a crf
how does it ride? do you ride mxxx or trail? dont say great through the diches in the neighborhood delivering papers or riding to the deer stand please!!!
Im curious of what you dont like other than neutral!!! llike will it scream in 5th?

I have seen alot of motors, and worked on alot more motors, and when it pops, shoots flames and the headpipe glows red that deffinitly tells me something is wrong. Sorry for not being up on this technology. When you take a bike to a dealership do they ride it around to see whats wrong, or do the start it up in the garage and pipe it out a little??? To be quite honest with you, there is something still wrong. It shouldnt do that but if every other crf out there does this then its something that honda has to deal with. So im not going to worry about it. If you were to buy a new truck and a couple of months later it started to shoot flames, then it pops, then the manifolds glowed red, you would think it was normal!!! Man you need to read up on your automotive basics!!

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Have you ridden it since these new revelations? Does it perform OK on the track?

I, as you seem to be, am not convinced that a poppin', flame spitting, glow-in-the-dark motorsickle is a good thing. :eek:

So I am still very interested in how it does on the ground.

Feb 4, 2004
I have well over 150 hours+ on my crf450 03 in deep water ,mud, sand ,hot, cold, rocks and its always runs awesome except under 30 degrees which is normal becuase its not set up for cold. Have replaced piston and rings becuase i wanted to only slightly worn and have my valves checked often. i blew stabilzercrank bearings due to not changing oil every1-2 rides my lost. this crf acts like a good honda. If you spend so much on a bike bringing it to some 1 thats knows will save you all this aggrivation. More track and trail time is what its all about. spend the couple hundred bucks and get that pig set up.damn i'm up to 2000 in preseason toys thats what overtime is for riding time. i hate the nervous feeling of a questionable ride when you should be cranking it. anyways i love my crf450 never would have believed a 4stroke could be so much fun :aj:

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I am glad I didnt cannibalize my bike for my ecu if that is all it was. I am gonna say that it gets real hot real Fast when you rap it up while in neutral it doesnt take long for it to start puking out the rad overflow.. Couple of minutes That is something that concerns me with mine cause I do ride a lot of trails. It has only done it once while warming it up to change the oil (Yeah I think its hot enough) and once when I was stuck at a trail construction site between two logs and loose brush revving and spinning... It worked out OK cause it made room to put some watter wetter in there and it hasnt happened since... One thing is strange though you said turning the fuel screw which is under the float bowl didnt make any difference when you turned it in or out that is weird cause mine will really pop and shoot flames when that screw is out of whack... I am about 2.5 to 3 trns out. It takes a little adjustment about 1/4 turn depending on temp and EL...

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Pretty cool how the title of the thread changed. :laugh:

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
I dont ride my bikes very lightly, and im a very firm believer in preventive matenince. When i notice that something seems wrong or out of place, i dont ride. Thats why it sat in my garage the whole time i tried to figure this out. I dont have enough money to just ride it until it blows. I probably ride harder, and abuse my bike more than anyone else i ride with. But it still looks better and runs better than theres, i spend alot of time cleaning, changing oil, checking bolts, you name i go through it. It must be nice to have money to be able to beat the hell out of a bike, and when it breaks just drop it off at the dealer.

Just got back from riding, and it ran excellent, yeah it still pops and shoots flames, but i guess thats noraml.

Red450

Feb 18, 2004
My 2002 Crf450 backfires. I have also seen a little flame come out when I was revving it in neutral. This seems to be normal. The person I bought the bike from had a Honda mechanic check it out, so I know there is nothing wrong with it. The only reason I can think of is the design of the pipe as to why it backfires. Also the previous owner cut off a couple of inches off the end of the pipe for a little more noise and performance. I compared it with another CRF450 and my pipe does sound louder. I still have to ride the other CRF450 to see if it made a difference in performance.

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Lets see if I can clear some things up here. With no load on the motor jetting would be rich especially when you are blipping the throttle. Accelerator pump is squirting gas into the intake for use in a loaded engine. This escapes as some unburned fuel or small flames out the exhaust. The missing you here on the stand is because the bike is in neutral and the engine has no load. The ignition retards to the point it revs a certain RPM(not redline) I believe this is for the FIM mandated sound tests in Europe. The best way to think of a loaded engine is to ride in sand. Sand requires richer jetting because the load is higher and more constant. Where as hard pack jetting can be leaner because of less friction trying to stop the rear tire. The red header section comes from idling not revving. Revving increases velocity inside the pipe cooling it. To you guys revving to the moon on the stand, quit it. It serves no purpose, except to shake dried mud off.

Top Bottom