CRF 450 -----Wide Ratio Transmission

red 450

Oct 27, 2001
Over on ThumperTalk.com someone has already installed an IMS wide ratio transmission in the CRF. The problem is IMS has stopped manufacturing this kit. It has been suggested that the Honda CRM 250 a bike that is not sold in North America might have a wide ratio tranny that could be grafted into the 450. Does anyone know anything about the CRM 250, maybe a partsfiche or a service manual. Eric any ideas on this?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
I don't know if the parts are interchangable, you'd have to teardown each tranny and measure some ket dimensions like the width, I.D, teeth and pitch.
I would just wait until someone comes up with a purposefull designed part rather than adapting things.
Redesigning a gear set isn't rocket science, and the French always seem to lead the way in aftermarket tranny parts. I remember when I was doing the GPs in the early 1990s, there were at least 3 ratios available for Honda CRs and they were way cheaper than what IMS was selling here in America ($60 a gear).
If any of our European members are reading this post, please let us know if any aftermarket company in France or Belgium is selling wide ratio gear sets for CR450s.
Thanks

Top Bottom