FASTMOFOSS

Jul 11, 2007
A fellow by me has his for sale, a 2003 CRF 450r, all street legal'd, title, lights, horn, you get the idea.
The question is: how long should I be able to operate this bike as a street/trail bike, before I need top engine work done? Is this bike really 1k/year to maintain? (as I've been reading in searched threads?) I appreciate any advice. I'm selling my CR500, as I need an on/off road machine.
I'm used to the ease of maintenance of my CR500r, am I getting in way over my head? Do these bikes need far more then I'm ready for, maintenance wise?
Thanks!

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
The Honda 450 had an issue with transmission bearings failing. This only happened when the bike was operated at high speed in top gear. The "fix" was to run the trans oil at a higher level. In an attempt to provide positive lube to the bearing in question.

Some were even known to lock up during operation.

I suggest that the bearing issues need to be addressed before operation on the street.

Otherwise, they are reliable. You will however, be spending much more on maintenance.

Chris

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It's a race bike.. You are still going to have to follow the service intervals in the manual..

You sure you want to run a race bike on the street?

Top Bottom