GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I was thinking about putting a flywheelweight on my 04 CRF450. I ride mostly woods and I was going to go middle of the road in weight. What is that 9oz-13oz? I was running a 52T rear sprocket with no probs but I wanted a little higher gear range so I now have a 50T rear. Anyways in the really tight stuff obviously a lot more clutch is needed now and I am getting some rattle type lugging sounds down low but none before with the 52T (Just go faster, right) if I am not slipping the clutch while lugging. I was actually thinking about a rev-loc as a possibility but the flywhel weight seems the more economical approach. The question is will the weight take away a lot of the rough lugging sounds and smooth that out. I dont want to lose any of the instant giddyup that I have now though. Can someone describe in their experience what a weight addition (and how much it was) will do to this bike.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have a 9oz FWW on my 03 CRF450 and love it.

I ran without it when I put the Rekluse auto-clutch on but still ended up putting the FWW back on after my first ride without it. Even with the auto-clutch I preferred the FWW.

Ivan

Minitrail

Mar 14, 2004
I have an +11 oz (33oz total) on my 03 crf450,and its a totally different bike.
I think you must go for a heavier,because on -04 its only 18oz from beginnig (22oz -03)
Next is the wide range gear set from baja designs. They also sold me the flywheel

/ Peter

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
For what its worth....From reading it appears that Scott Summers utilizes a 35 oz Trail tech flywheel, with specific engine mods. It appears, at least if you subscribe to his theory, that heavier is better.

n24wheelin

Jun 13, 2004
I use a +13 ounce on my '03 CRF450, and a 12 tooth front sprocket and 51 tooth rear. I ride in the woods almost exclusively. The +13 ounce flywheel smoothed out the low end power significantly, makes it much easier to ride in the tight & twisties, the lower gearing helps too. This bike was impossible to ride in the woods before, now it is much easier. Obviously it won't wind up as fast as it did before, but it still has tons of punch. I wouldn't want the bike without the changes.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Well I put in the Trailtech 31oz flywheel, The stock flywheel on the 04 is 18oz. Well this is the bike I thought I was buying I should have done this mod first! It handles like a new bike!! In the twisty berm rollercoaster like uphill trails I feel stuck to the ground while rolling the throttle on and off it used to feel like it was hard to keep the power on in these spots cause when you rolled the gas back on the rear would fishtail off losing traction and I would have to feather the clutch to get it back... WOW... it pulls so much harder due to less wheelspin. It kinda makes the bike feel heavier or like a bigger bike when throwing down quick turns which is OK with me. I ride in a lot of sandwash type glacial till type small round rocks here. anothe thing I noticed is I am using more gears (shifting earlier) cause if I am at the bottom of second I can hold it and power out where I couldnt before. That had me hooting and hollering all day yesterday... I had the best ride I have had in a while I was Woo-Hoo-ing the whole way home... I wonder if I will fell the same differences in the sand? So now I have the 31oz flywheel and 50T rear sprocket.. Up until this weekend I thought the 50T was not going to work I was thinking about trying a 51T or going back to a 52T because I couldnt use the gears I wanted like I did when I had the 52T on there. I had the speed for 2nd or third but when I shifted it woudnt have the oomph to move my big a$$ around I had to really rev out my gears which didnt feel right..

Top Bottom