Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I am considering a change to the dark side of 4 strokes; The '04 Honda CRF 450 looks like something I would be interested in, but I am curious how it would work out for Harescrambles and woods riding. Bigger tank and maybe sprocket changes? What do you guys think.

Thanks
Lew

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yeah, both of those would be necessities, especially the sprocket...one maybe two teeth. I've noticed that there's not a lot of bottom on this bike (not as much as I need in the woods!) and if the trails are single track, you would be milking the clutch a lot. The power is VERY predictable as you roll on the throttle until about 3/4-2/3 and then that back wheel starts CLAWING at the ground! The bike feels very light and the clutch pull is a work of art! You can adjust the clutch and front brake lever in and out...depending on the length of your fingers. Brakes are great.

BUT, I've not had my bike in the woods yet....AND I've never raced an HS, so stick around for a few more opinions! I think THUMP mentioned putting a larger rear sprocket on his bike.

crf450guy

Sep 1, 2003
I went to a 51 T rear sprocket on my 04 crf. I also put on a 13oz flywheel weight from trailtech. I can finish a 2 hour hare scramble on stock tank but I did get bark busters and a skid plate. I will be cutting at least 1/2" off each side of the bars soon also we ride alot of tight woods.

PowerStroke

Dec 3, 1999
Everything about this bike is superb..

Until you hit the tight woods. Make sure you are strong enough to stop at each tight corner and lift the rear end to swing it out a few feet. If you can do this and make up the time on the straights then it is your bike.

Look at KTM's and DRZ's(Great motor and frame but HEAVY! best for mixed trail rides dual sports etc. but with work will go well in ENDUROs and HS') I have ridden the WR's and just can't seem to like them. I am looking for a KTM as we speak. They are race ready and expensive which means I can refuse to buy stuff for the wife that requires time to install, like wallpaper , concrete, paint, garage doors, shutters.. "Sorry honey.. that bike depleted our savings and now we are too broke to start any projects.. see ya going racing!"

Top Bottom